Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

How do I begin a flight that is airborne?

I know, I know ... Its probably been answered multiple times but I can figure out neither how to do it or how to find it in the search engine. I looked in the Learning Center and I can't bring up a former post.In another sim of days of yore ... "Flight Unlimited 2 and 3" ... You could begin at any altitude at any location. I haven't been able to figure out how to do it FSX. I know you can slew and use the map to move to any vertical/horizontal location... but how do you start in the air??? I know that it can be done because the default flight is loaded that way. I've been playing with FS off and on since FS '98 and I've never created an airborne flight.Now with the spectacular Alps scenery that is on this forum ... I want to begin at some point in the air for sure.Thank you for the help.Steve

Hi Steve,Very simple my friend. Start a flight as normal from the freeflight screen by selecting your aircraft, current location (a nearby airfield from which you can either fly or slew to your desired start position), and the weather and time you would like your flight to start in. Now start the flight and fly/slew to your heading, altitude and location that you would like your airborne flight to begin at. I would suggest you engage altitude hold on the autopilot. Once your flying, select Flights/Save from the menu, give your airborne start flight a name and save it. Now close your flight. Go to the freeflight start screen and this time select the 'Load' button. You will see your saved flight. Click on it and you'll be airborne!!Hope this helpsTerry (-:

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Thank you, Terry ...I think I understand now how to save and name a flight once you have begun on the ground and are airborne by flight or slew.Does this mean there is NO way to simply begin at any point on the earth at a particular long/lat and altitude (adding in the desired weather and time without flying/slewing first? Meaning... There is no way to a map to locate the airplane/long/lat and altitude before pushing the fly button and having it set up in a pre loaded flight to start with?Steve

Guest fsxmissionguy

Steve,Not BEFORE pushing the Fly Now button, but if you load any flight, you can then access the World Map:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186904.jpgFrom this dialog box, you can drag and drop the airplane icon anywhere you want, and specify an altitude, airspeed, LAT/LON, etc. and voila, there you are!Cheers