Sign in to follow this  
cklink

Blocky textures

Guest cryptkeeper

Hi!I'm using FSX+acceleration and having blocky textures on some parts. Here is a screen that's taken at the beginning of the "Avalanche rescue" mission.http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6020/screentu3.jpgDo you guys also have this?Oh, and i'm also experiencing flickering shadows on buildings from airports.Win XPGeforce 8800GT (drivers: 169.21) DX9No addons for fsx.Texture settings are at max.Thanks!

I have a similar GPU and your blocky texture does not look normal. Having said that, the default snow textures always do look pretty rough close up. Perhaps your GPU can't keep up with the current slider settings, or perhaps it is a driver issue. Try the 174.44 beta drivers and see if backing off your settings helps at all. Otherwise, is there any chance you might have overwritten a texture file with a third party scenery add-on?Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I get this with texture resolution set at 7cm as well. Driver's wont help. (Noticed this with every driver to date anyways)I believe it has to to with the default blend masks, as they are alot less obtrusive if you set your texture resolution to 60cm. Then you just get little block instead of what your seeing.Also, looks like you have detailed texture checked, I usually leave that off so you don't get that additional pattern (not the one your refering too) over your ground textures.Regards'Garett

Guest cryptkeeper

I recently installed the new nvidia drivers and still have the problem. I think the blocky textures and the flickering shadows (especially on the buildings of KLAX) are related.Also, this only happens when I install SP2. SP1 doesn't has this problem.Still no solutions?

Guest Nick_N

As stated eariler.. those 'blocky' textures are indeed texture mask related.The masks in FSX need to be 8192 in scale/resolution to work with 7cm. They are 1024 in scale and because of that and a few other things related to design they can show this issue in many places, usually associated with snow

Guest cryptkeeper

So what you are saying, is that this it's like that with all users of fsx? So when you put your textures on 7cm and load this mission (avalanche resque) you get the same result?It would seem that the flickering shadows and the blocky textures are not related after all. But I'm quite positive I don't have the shadows issue with SP1.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yes, that's correct. There's nothing wrong with your computer. That just happens to be an area where multiple textures are blending together.I guarantee you that 5 minutes into that mission, you will never remember seeing that texture ... and 15 minutes into that mission you will not even remember your own name.It's that hard.