Sign in to follow this  
Guest NoobPilot

Slippery Runways!

I'm sure this must have been covered, but I'm not having much luck searching. URLs to previous topics will therefore be gratefully received & read!All my standard aircraft seem to land on ice, whatever the weather. That is to say, having landed, the slightest input to rudder causes the aircraft to slide wildly around, specially during braking.I think I once read that the same flight model is used both for flight and taxying, but is there some configuration that can be adjusted to make my undercarriage stick to the runway a little more like rubber should?Thanks!

Guest fsxmissionguy

Couple of questions:What version of FSX are you running, and which Service Pack level have you installed?Which aircraft does this happen with? Is it only add-ons, or is it also default aircraft?Can you provide us with your typical airspeed when you touchdown (provide aircraft/typical speed)?It sounds like you may have a problem with an input device. What type of joystick do you use? When is the last time you calibrated it.I can say that this is not a design flaw in FSX. It's most likely something you're doing unintentionally or some problem on your workstation or peripherals. So, I'd approach the problem from that direction.Cheers,

Guest RonB49

Try turning down your Realism settings (under the Aircraft menu). R-

Guest jshyluk

If anything, I find the runways to be too sticky. Or more precisely, that brakes are too efficient, and that the runway does not allow for much skidding.That being said, if you heave on the rudder at touchdown, you can expect some yaw. This is especially pronounced in the "taildraggers" due to center-of-gravity issues. See the "how to fly taildraggers" entry in the Learning Center for more info.Center of gravity is very important in FSX and in real flight. If your weight is unbalanced (like maybe you are landing with a full tank of fuel), then you can have some control problems in any aircraft. Definitely try out the advice above. Try to land as close to "on the numbers" as you can. If you are forcing a bad landing, you will have a lot of problems with aircraft control, which is why in the real world you would just call a missed approach and go around. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Thanks for the responses so far. Though not quite what I was expecting (I was expecting config tweaks), the comments have been pretty helpful.Kevin: I'm running the deluxe edition, and I have SP2 installed. I get the problem with most aircraft, and currently only fly the default aircraft. I'll choose the C172, as I commonly fly it, and know this happens with that aircraft. My typical landing speed will be around 60KIAS.Your next suggestion was the one which helped me the most, as I was not using any input device! I was being ultra lazy and using the keyboard :-) Your question prompted me to take down the Saitek X52 off the shelf and give it a try. And while I haven't got all the controls (or sensitivities) sorted out quite yet, I was quickly convinced that my issue was caused by trying to use the keyboard. Crikey, I even managed to land the Airbus manually on the first try. (OK, I took a chunk out of the perimeter fence at EGLL, but I'll pay for it). It seems perhaps that keyboard controls are not best optimised, especially when it comes to landing/taxying.Your (and others') additional comments encouraged me in that the problem lay with my use of the product rather than the product itself. Now if I can just spend a bit of time with the setup of the X52, I'm sure all will be well.In response to others:Geofa: I was using correct "yoke" deflection for xwind as far as possible with the keyboard, though xwind appears to be too dynamic to "chase" with keyboard controls. With the joystick this is instinctive, and therefore *much* easier. Of course if weather is turned off altogether, braking can be done in a straight line even with keyboard controls :-)Ron: Actually I'm trying to get to grips with reality rather than turn it down, though I take your point :-)Jeff: Again, your response was encouraging, as you indicated that your own experience was the opposite of what I was finding. I think I now know why. I also appreciated your notes on CxG, and will look forward to trying out the DC-3 with the Saitek.Thanks once again to all!--Neil.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. However you'll see from my other response that my issue was a lack of controllers rather than an excess!

Guest fsxmissionguy

Neil,Yes, I think with the Seitek X52, you will enjoy the simulator again.It is the joystick that I use, and recommend as an excellent all-purpose joystick for Flight Simulator X. I find it works equally well with a jumbo jet, any GA aircraft, a helicopter or a fighter jet. When you think about it, that's quite versatile.Glad I could help.Cheers,

Guest jshyluk

In FSX, you will definitely get more realistic response from the game from high-quality controllers. Keyboard?!? Criminy jakes.That being said, actually paying for all of those exotic controllers is a big, big, expense. Definitely, a good joystick is an investment. A lot of people like the Saetek product as it seems to be both current and versatile. I swear by my Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II -- goofy name, but what a stick. Unfortunately, outfits like Thrustmaster, Logitech, Gravis, etc. seem to not be keeping up with current products. ACES keeps talking up the X-BOX controller for FSX, and to be fair, I do use it in my reviews as a test device, but it's not my favourite. Then, you will want a TrackIR. Definitely, at least to try it out. There are some who don't like it, and that's fair, but the TrackIR keeps winning AVSIM awards year after year for a reason.Rudder pedals are really nice in FSX, and Saetek makes good entry-level pedals. You can also get a pretty nice throttle quadrant from them, too.With that outfit, you will have a "reasonably" realistic control set-up for flight sim. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest NoobPilot

Actually, if you really want a new Joystick, I would recommend the Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro, if you can still find it anywhere. I've had mine since '99, still really solid, great buttons, 4 axes, autocenter, a light base, but it's wide and has great grips so it stays put, all the buttons are convenient, and as far as I can remember it comes with a USB adapter. Accurate, and extremely molded to my hand. Just a great joystick.