Sign in to follow this  
Palebushman

FSX Re-Installation Mystery

:-hmmm As a result of a non FSX related procedure, I lost the entire partition that my FSX was installed on. This now meant it was my turn to perform the unenviable task of re-installing FSX, with all it's previous add-ons and successful 'Tweaks' that made it run so well on my machine.This was indeed a very time consuming affair, but I am happy to say that all has gone very well, and if anything, I'm pretty sure FSX is running even better now, than it ever did before! BUT; there is just one bit of this re-installation that puzzles me, and that is in the Add/Remove window of my XP Pro. The only sign of FSX being there is 'Microsoft Simulator X: Acceleration' with a 'Size' of just 0.21MB! (Should be circa 19.1GBs)Now if I tick the 'Show Updates' box and select 'Sort By: Size'The largest program shown at the top of the window is my 'Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 A Century of Flight' weighting in at a handsome 3,468.MB's.Where has the largest program I have on my machine, FSX, gone to?I had a look at the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q240348/ article, but this does not seem to apply in my 'Registry' listings.So if any fellow forum members have encountered the same oddity, is there a cure for this strange omission.I only spotted this peculiarity while checking out software installations with my 'jv PowerTools' application, which I use for maintenance and looking for unwanted new arrivals on my machine. :-roll

IIRC you would see differences in the add/remove programs if you actually removed SP2. You would see SP1 and if you removed that you would see FSX. This has been mentioned in despatches previously and a forum search might turn up confirmation of my recollection. I have just checked, if you tick 'Show updates' in add/remove programs you will see all the FSX components.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

>IIRC you would see differences in the add/remove programs if>you actually removed SP2. You would see SP1 and if you removed>that you would see FSX. This has been mentioned in despatches>previously and a forum search might turn up confirmation of my>recollection. >>I have just checked, if you tick 'Show updates' in add/remove>programs you will see all the FSX components.> Many thanks for your tip John, but on reading my original post again I think I may have been a little vague.You are correct in what you say about ticking the 'Show Updates' box,and yes all three components of my FSX installations appear, but no sign at the right side of the window, showing how big they are.This probably explains why FSX does not show as the largest 'Size' application installed either.Needless to say that this does not affect the newly installed FSX in any way, and I suppose it's just another 'Windows' quirk that one will get used to.