Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

Newbie with FSX

Guest Gibso

hi all,I recently bought FSX deluxe & Accelerator & have just been trying it.Trying to land at Heathrow on the ILS 9L or 9R & find that the ILS frequencies don't work. I switched on the visual flight path & then tried & the plane did a 180 deg. turn & the visual flight path is showing a path into the wide blue yonder. I followed it for quite a while thinking it must be another airfield but I got out over the Atlantic & the visual flight path was still going West.At this moment I am rather dissapointed in FSX.,what with the view & spot plane changes, etc. I can't see how this version can be reckoned to be an improvement on FS9,it just seems to be a lot of cosmetic changes just for the sake of change.Alan

Guest firehawk44

I think you need to tell us what aircraft you were flying. Did you have NAV or GPS switched on? Was your course heading set to 90? Sometimes you have to be at a certain altitude before the ILS freq works or the ILS is captured. It's possible this is a bug with FSX/Accelerator but there are too many variables in your problem statement. I hope you have had a chance to fly some of the missions such as the Secret Shuttle. There are some excellent missions for the beginners to the experts too. Check out the learning center within FSX and I think you'll find a lot of nice things to read and do regarding flight simulation and flight. If not, simply move backwards to FS9. I tried FS9 with my upgraded computer system I got for FSX and FS9 really runs smoothly and I got great FPS. I said, "WOW!!! Awesome!". But I had used it for a couple of years and had my fun with it and decided to move on to FSX. I bought a few commercial products to enhance my experiences and now I'm really enjoying it.Best regards,Jim

Guest Gibso

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.All the points you suggested were all set up properly & I tried with several aircraft with the same result each time. I've been using FS since Win95 days so these things aren't new to me. In my opinion they have made a right bodge of this version & I think I will be reverting to FS9 & this FSX will be consigned to the bin,I won't even give it away,I'm so disgusted with it.Alan

>Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.>All the points you suggested were all set up properly & I>tried with several aircraft with the same result each time.>I've been using FS since Win95 days so these things aren't new>to me. In my opinion they have made a right bodge of this>version & I think I will be reverting to FS9 & this FSX will>be consigned to the bin,I won't even give it away,I'm so>disgusted with it.Well, to be quite frank I think you're being rather hasty with your decision. Yes, there are a lot of changes in FSX -and some may well feel they aren't necessarily for the better- but, on the whole once nearly everyone actually takes the time to explore the changes in detail, their satisfaction level rises accordingly.Once again, since I'm unable to duplicate your reported problem(s) with the ILS capture, there's evidently something incorrect in your procedure...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fsxmissionguy

>Once again, since I'm unable to duplicate your reported>problem(s) with the ILS capture, there's evidently something>incorrect in your procedure...But since you're unable to make one type of landing at one runway of one airport, by all means, throw the sim in the bin. Any that can't stand that thorough shakeout is clearly a bodged-up version.The X-Plane forum is over here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=132