Sign in to follow this  
Paul_Yorks

FSX ATC and PMDG 747 Revisited

After just over a week of running the PMDG 747-400 in FSX with Vista, I have only found two ways of using the FMC flight route in conjunction with the FSX ATC syatem.1. Load an FSX flight plan and duplicate it in the PMDG FMC. Then use ATC in IFR mode to follow the plan. This does not allow use of SID/STARS in the flights, as FSX controls the departures and approaches, but it allows all the other features of an FMC controlled flight.2. Same as above, except cancel the FSX flight plan immediately after clearing the field on take-off, and request Flight following. This way you can use all the features of the PMDG system, including SID/STARS, and talk to ATC. However, if your destination is in instrument only approach conditions, you cannot land without filing the FSX flight Plan again, which is not compatible with the STAR procedure.3. I have had also a periodic problem with method 1 in that I cannot seem to always override the automatic Nav radio setting, and have to finish the flight with a manual landing and no glide slope or localizer information. When I try to enter the approach ILS freqency, I get an error message. The manual states that the automatic setting can be overridden manually, but I obviously have not found some section that explains the constraints on this, and will appreciate any help.Am I missing something basic here?Regards, Thanks,Thrakete

Guest j-mo

I've been flying the PMDG 747 for about six or seven weeks now. Coincidentally, I installed Radar Contact at the same time.Initially it was a bit of an adjustment getting used to both, but I recommend you consider getting Radar Contact. Among its many features, it allows you to fly DP's and STAR's. Most people invest in a PMDG product because of the realism factor. Same thing with RC. Much more realistic than FS ATC.Regarding number three, why don't you select your arrival runway in the FMC and let the frequency be changed for you? Alternatively, you should use the FPV if you are going to fly a non-precision approach.Regards,

Hi Alex:I am not familiar with Radar Contact, and am not sure that my computer can handle much additional load fps wise. However, I will look into it. Where do I find Radar Contact?In regard to the frequency problem, I believe I did use the method you suggest successfully once, then forgot how I did it. I think I entered a VOR for my final pre-flight initial point, then entered the runway info after ATC gave it to me in flight.Thanks, Regards,Thrakete

Guest j-mo

>I am not familiar with Radar Contact, and am not sure that my>computer can handle much additional load fps wise. The RC forum is just down the page. Post your specs and see what they have to say about performance hit. They'll treat you right.Regards,

Thanks for the responses guys. I will print them all out and retain them in my PDMG folder.Using Alex's suggestions, frequency control for APR mode of the 747 on finals is no longer a problem. I still don't understand why I can't change the radio manually whenever I want to, but have an idea that it may be locked when already in use for an active leg of the flight. Anyhow, I think I now need to spend a little more time on the basic learning curve for the PDMG 747. After I can consistently handle it to my satisfaction, I will look at expanding my experience to Radar Contact and the other options.Regards,Thrakete

You can always ignore FSX ATC - wait for a handoff, tune the new controller, but just don't "contact" same. ATC will then stay permanently quiet. Which is, essentially, exactly what happens under RC4 when you're flying a STAR - ATC just stops talking to you, so you can get on with it.As to changing the radio manually, my understanding is that ILS freqs are automatically tuned in the 747, and that is that. In the LDS 767 you can manually enter, or choose a menu option to auto-tune. Afaik, the 747 auto-tunes, period. I assume, of course, that you are talking about ILS freqs.

Paul Skol