Sign in to follow this  
Guest woodprop

help! FSX loading "program not responding"

Guest woodprop

Just lately, when I launch FSX the program appears to be loading and then stalls before getting to the options screen. It will not resume loading even after waiting several minutes. The 'Task Manager' says the program is not responding and I have to 'End Task' to unfreeze the computer. I had this happen once before and resolved this issue by uninstalling FSX and re-installing. I let FSX build a new .cfg file, but this was to no avail.Any suggestions for a work around would be really appreciated. I don't want to have to reload my addons.I am running Vista Home Premium

Guest thx1137

I have had this in the past and it wasn't frozen, just very slow, so I would leave it for at least 10 minutes to see if it comes up. FSX takes around 6 minutes to load on my machine these days, once it is going it is fine.I assume you didn't install anything just prior to the freezing?Steven.

Guest jshyluk

Maybe your flight log files are corrupted. You could try removing them somewhere where FSX can't find them, and let the sim write new ones.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest woodprop

Thanks Jeff! I'll give that a try tonight.

Guest woodprop

Hi Steven, I've tried waiting a half hour but no go. It's got to be some kind of gremlin.

Hello, Jeff probably hit the nail right on the head. The only times my FSX installation wouldn't start up it's been the logbook.bin file. In My Documents/FSX Files you can pull that file out and try to load FSX. If it loads then you might want to grab a couple of utilities out of the file library: one will fix corrupted entries in the logbook and there is one that will let you edit your logbook. Searching for "logbook" here in the file library under FlightSim X should turn up what you need. These two utilities were also mentioned in another recent thread here in the FSX forum.Good Luck,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB SATA-3GB/S HD for O/SWD 160GB SATA 3GB/S HD for FSXWindows XP SP3 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

Hi,The file is still there and is called fsxlogrecovery11.zipMike

Guest thx1137

hehe, that sounds long enough to be sure :-)If you don't have joy with the other suggestions you could try working out where it is dying using a program called FileMon from sysinternals.com. This app logs all the disks read/write attempts and can be very useful for trouble-shooting. A LOT of a log entries are written and it you need to know a little bit about filesystems but it can often give pointers.Steven.

Guest woodprop

Hey all, fsxlogrecovery11 did the trick!That is sweet! FSX fired right up, no hangs. Wow, I'm so glad I don't have to re-load everything.Thank you Mike, Kail and all! I appreciate your taking time for the replies. Thank you Daniel van Os for this fine little utility. There were a couple missing elements the program analyzed and repairedHappy flying!