Sign in to follow this  
fbass

Black Ground

Perhaps someone might help me. Suddenly, all of my ground texture is black. The buildings, trees, water, runway textures, and the like are all proper. It seems only the ground is black.The first time this happened to me I went through all the folders that might apply and "commented them out." In other words, I changed the folder ID and added a "blank" folder with the proper subfolders within. For example, I changed the "Addon Scenery" folder to "ORGAddon SceneryORG" and added a blank folder "Addon Scenery" with a "texture" and "scenery" folder containing no files. I did this in an attempt to determine where the problem was. This action was taken for all suspected scenery folders.None of my actions made any difference. I also carefully examined all of my config files to see if the settings had changed. I could not determine where the problem was.As a result, I reformatted my disk drive and installed a new install of FSX. I slowly added all of my files (aircraft and scenery) and that corrected the problem.Once again, this very same problem has gotten into my FSX setup. Something is changing the global scenery for ground textures. The problem exists no matter where I attempt to fly.Anyone have an idea where to start checking for this issue?Thanksfb

Hi Frank,check the top of your scenery.cfg file. It should read:[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=TRUE[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Local=SceneryWorldLayer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUE[Area.002]Title=Default SceneryLocal=SceneryBASELayer=2Active=TRUERequired=TRUEA missing or corrupted "Texture_ID=1" line can cause the issue you're describing.Cheers, Holger

Holger you're a genius. Thanks so much.Now, here's what I want to know. What is changing the scenery.cfg file? This circumstance started yesterday with scenery load errors out of the FSX bootup. I had to add back the (Area.001) section from a backup. However, the backup also had the "Texture_ID=1" statement missing.This is crazy. No program or install software should be changing a section in the config file that determines global scenery loads. I can see an install executable adding a section for additional scenery but I don't think that software should be changing a critical scenery.cfg section. I know - that's a naive thought. One tries to be positive. :-)fb