Sign in to follow this  
FalconAF

Airport lighting

I have been searching in the AVSIM library and can not find any alternative lighting for airports in FSX. I would like to reduce the size and over-glow effect. Does anyone know where I can find some alternatives? Thank you for any help. Bob K.

Guest SkullxBones

The file you should search for, for changing the various runway lights would be halo.bmp.You can also change the intensity of the different runway lights which might help.add these in the FSX.cfg file under the DISPLAY section. The default settings would be 1.0 for each. I have mine turned down to what you see here, but you can adjust the numbers to suit.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.7RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.7RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9

Search the file library for "Brian Neitzel" and download his "Alternate Halo Texture V" file. Contains 4 sizes of the halo.bmp file in various colors and appearances (without star effect, with star effect, etc). Also has numerous versions of the "Spotlight.bmp" file for the aircraft landing lights. Also explains the FSX.cfg file setting changes above.If you can't find a combination in his file that works for you, there's no hope. ;-)FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Thanks FalconAF for the response. I guess there is no hope because I can not find Brian's file. Can you help? Bob K.

Well heck...I still have the avsim.diz file that shows I got it from here about 2 years ago, but I couldn't find it here now searching either. The link below will take you to the file at Flightsim.com. I found it there using "Neitzel" as the search string. File name is "AHT5.zip" if the link doesn't work. http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/file?rk=Uucio...main/search.htmNOTE: Even though it is listed in the FS2004 file section, it works fine with FSX. I've been using them for over 2 years now in FSX. They are just .bmp replacement files, with lots of them to choose from.

Rick Ryan

Thanks again. I found the file through your link but also found an apparently newer version AHT7. Have you seen and used that version or should I just stay with what you have found to work fine? Mr. Neitzel had a whole bunch of other files, but most are for FS9. Do you know anything about him and is he going to be making file tweaks for FSX?Again thanks for all your help. Bob K.

Where did you find an "AHT7" version? I just did a search there and didn't see anything under his name with a file name like that. Closest I could find was a file called HS07 by him. It's 3 months "newer" than AHT5, but much smaller (only about 214,000 KB). AHT5 is over 2,752,000 KB in size.I'm still using the AHT5 stuff and it works fine for me. I can't comment on any of the other files listed there...haven't used them. I go by the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". AHT5 has worked great for me for over 2 years now. I haven't seen anything from Brian specifically for FSX. I don't know if he has done anything for it, or plans to.FalconAF

Rick Ryan