Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

One gauge file.. How to make it?

How do I create only one gauge file? I want to package all my gauges into one xx.gau file, like the default 737-400. Also, once compiled, how do you extract gauges from it?Is their a program I can use?Thanks

Guest harry3

If you want to do it with the new xml, it's easy:You just have to put all .xml gauges+their bitmaps into a .cab file. The other way round, you just have to extract the .xml gauges+their bitmaps. The only thing you need is cabpacker to pack the cabs and winzip to show and extract the cab.With the old .gau Gauges, I haven't got any idea. I don't think that it is possible.Regards,Harald

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Harald.It is possible, PSS did it with their Airbus Pro Series, but I am not aware of how it is done...

Download and install Dai Griffith's great tutorial sd2gau13.zip. Also you will need a C compiler - Free Command Line Compiler from http://www.sirma.bg/Jogy/bcc55.html or the Ming GCC compiler reference in the tutorial. Lastly, download the AircraftPanels_SDK.exe from http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.asp .After all that, you will learn why many people are switching to the XML gauges.

hey, thanks for the links and pointers, will check them out....

Guest harry3

@Fabio Miguez:I think you missunderstood me: Of course, you can pack all .gau Gauges in to one file, like MS and PSS and many other did it. But for this, you must have written the whole gauge by yourself, because you need the whole source code. Then you can pack many gauges in one file. XML is the new way of gauge designing. If MSFS would give us some more Variables, and if their also would be a XML-gauge SDK, than XML would be even more easier to work with!Very difficult gauges like a moving map are not yet possible with XML. For this, you need the old .gau system!Regards,Harald

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Harald.Glad we are on the same page now. Yes, I see XML is taking over for simpler gauges, it is a pitty we cannot use it for vector graphics...

If you say 'my gauges', I think you have all the source codes. If you say 'compiled', I think you're talking of C... Because you'll need the source in order to create such a multigauge. See Dai Griffiths' tutorial and the M$ Panel SDK. Extracting ain't possible then (except hacking).Regarding the panel.cfg, just use the usual format:gaugeXX=multigauge!subgauge,X,Y

Guest harry3

Hacking is possible with the new tool "Easy Gauges". You can make Gauges on a very easy way with it. But I wouldn't like it, because you don't understand the system on how gauges are working, if you're not programming by yourself!@badderjet: What Gauges are you working on?And, I've searched for your nickname "randomize" in the FXP Forum, but couldn't find anything!Best regards from Austria,Harald :)

Harry, where would I find this tool "Easy Gauges". Searched here at Avsim, but no joy...Thanks

Guest harry3

Look here: http://www.bluesky-net.de/Hans Hartmann(DF737-gauges-programmer) had written a review about this programm and said that it's a good tool to make gauges without any programm-knowledge.The only bad thing is, that no bigger bitmaps than 500kb can be used. Regards,Harald

Well... I think I don't have any more than 20 posts in the FXP forum... I like this one here much more.I'm working on no gauge currently, I'm actually programming some kinda 'editor' which should make gauge creation easier (far from beta version tho...) :-).I think EasyGauge might be a very good program (for beginners), but I want to do everything by myself and see and understand the complete process of the gauge inner workings, so I try to make such simplified version. Has of course nothing to do with EasyGauge, coz I actually don't know that program. Just the idea.RegardsEtienne