Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Copter accident

Had a chopper crash into a hydro tower in Northwestern Manitoba, CANADA.Both pilot and power lineman killed. Very said. I didn't know the power lineman but had talked to him on the radio before as we both work for the power company.JimCYWG

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry to hear about it--my boss (Peter Stocker) died in a similar accident many years ago.-Johm

Just to update. When the copter hit the tower, the 230,000 volt line tripped out. That means the breakers at both ends of the line opened. These breakers don't close automatically. Lower voltage breakers, say 66,ooo, 24,000, 12,000 or 4,000 volt breakers close by themselves. Not all utilities do this but most of our lines do. This limits the time you are out of power. The 230,000 volt breakers don't close by themselves because if there is a fault on the line it could cause instability on the power system. We knew that the staff were working on another line close to this line but not on this line. We tried to contact them but got no answer. After 20 minutes the line was put back into service. Just a little insite into the operation of a power system. This is what I do for a living.JimCYWG