Sign in to follow this  

xml tutorials?

I have 2 good tutorials -- one describing how to create a simple on/off warning light and the other for a fuel gauge.Does anybody know any other reasonably simple tutorials -- I'm not quite ready to start designing a complete EFIS !! :)Thansk Barry

Guest Eugen

Hi,Look for Arne Bartels xml guide in the file library.By the way are your tutorials online or are they files,I would be interested to take part of them if they are available.BrgdsEugen

Although obviously not "tutorials", I would suggest you dig deep into the default gauges and check out how things are done. Additional gauges can also be found in a few freeware aircrafts. Rewrite them to suit your needs - I don't believe there are any copyright associated, due to its open-source format.

I don't necessarily hold to the view of copyright that sports scores, the calendar or time tables are copyright (depending on how far intellectual property rights madness goes), but CNET did successfully sue for copyright infringement over the HTML code of their homepage to to block a satire site.I doubt that most individual elements of a gauge or simple gauges have an original authorship or artistic merit required to be protected under copyright. They are mostly obvious and there are few ways to read and display the same value differently, but perhaps a very ingenious way of working a gauge or calculating a value might be considered enough to have rights. Or perhaps a large gauge consisting of many gauges or elements might be considered copyrightable.Someone might try to patent their code, as others have tried to patent the web page and the link.I doubt that anyone would bother about someone looking at example gauges and learning from them, the SDK I believe suggests just that, and using what you discover in your own gauges. And there is not much chance of a monetary gain from copying a gauge, but you never know. I think if a sim products company produced a complex panel for a 747 with hundreds of complicated gauges, and copying of this verbatim meant less sales of their gauge, they would have right to claim infringement.I intended to release all my gauges under the GPL to prevent any unauthorized commercial usage in the same way a company would want to prevent any unauthorized copying of their commercial product.I'm uncertain whether it is obvious they are not tutorials. Could you please tell me why the fuel gauge article is not a tutorial. It appears to be similar to other articles I find on the web called tutorials. I admit that the warning gauge article is intended more as a teaching example and some ready to use code for the user to learn from and modify than a tutorial.Steve

>I'm uncertain whether it is obvious they are not tutorials. >Could you please tell me why the fuel gauge article is not a >tutorial. It appears to be similar to other articles I find >on the web called tutorials. I admit that the warning gauge >article is intended more as a teaching example and some >ready to use code for the user to learn from and modify than >a tutorial. I believe that you have misread his post :) -- I believe that he is saying that , although the default gauges are not "tutorials", they can be used for education and inspiration.Barry

Yes, that was the point. The web tutorials are fine as tutorials, the default gauges are not too tutorialish (?) as they have little to no commenting left in the for us :)"I doubt that anyone would bother about someone looking at example gauges and learning from them, the SDK I believe suggests just that, and using what you discover in your own gauges. And there is not much chance of a monetary gain from copying a gauge, but you never know. I think if a sim products company produced a complex panel for a 747 with hundreds of complicated gauges, and copying of this verbatim meant less sales of their gauge, they would have right to claim infringement."Then they should stick to C I guess. I don't think we'll see xml gauges in any payware packages in a long while, for this "fear" of the code being "stolen".What happened to our hobby/lifestyle?

Sorry if I was snappish. I was just recoving from a nasty virus when I checked in to the message board, looking for some entertainment...Steve