Sign in to follow this  

What are all these TOOLTIPS?

A brief survey of a number of XML gauges has revealed to me a number of TAGS associated with the MOUSE section of the gauges.I understand basically that they have to do with the way FS2002 gives text when you pass a mouse cursor over the gauge -- but i am not sure how the different ones work, what they do and which one is approapriate.The only one I have been able to use so far in the 4 below is number 1. This gives a simple text readout when the cursor goes over the gauge.But what are the others for? And are there any other examples?1. Low Fuel2. 3. 4. What is the difference between a TOOLTIP ID and a HELP ID ?Thanks Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My understanding is that the Help ID tells you what the gauge/etc. is that you are hovering over, and the Tooltip usually gives you the state of the gauge. This is true in XML gauges, anyways. You can tell in the minipanel, for example, where if you hold your mouse over the Airspeed gauge, it will show you a tooltip showing your current airspeed. These are the tooltip's at work!A quick look at the SDK has a listing of all the available help id's and tooltips which are built into FS2002. Sometimes you can use both in a gauge, other times you can only find a help id or a tooltip that matches your gauge.I did, however, finally figure out how to get customized pop up id's. I didn't know this, and it may be old news, but I'll post it here.I have a collection of many replacement simicons which I've made, and for some of them, I wanted to have a custom pop up. For example, in my new 747-400 panel, I have an icon which pops up Eric's TCAS Radar gauge, here is how I got the custom tooltip.

<Mouse>	  <Cursor Type="Hand"/>	  <Click>175 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)</Click>		 <Tooltip ID="">Display/Hide TCAS Radar</Tooltip>		 <Help ID=""/>   </Mouse>

It is toggling the panel with an ident of 175, and the trick was to leave the tootip ID section blank, and the Help ID section blank. Then you can insert whatever text you want to pop up inbetween the tooltip definition.This one was bugging me quite a bit, as I had a bunch of gauges in my CPT Toggles collection which had no Help ID or Tooltip that I could use. No more, I just went ahead an created custom ones for them!

>

<Mouse> >	  <Cursor Type="Hand"/> >	  <Click>175 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)</Click> >		 <Tooltip ID="">Display/Hide TCAS Radar</Tooltip> >		 <Help ID=""/> >   </Mouse> >

Instead of this in line 4 & 5 aboveDisplay/Hide TCAS Radar > Try this Type anything you want This works for me to give a gauge or switch a popup description and is a lot simpler.Barry

As far as I understand, the HelpID's supports localization - a german user would get "Altimeter" text in his own language. Tooltip doesn't support this, kind of obviously when you think about it.The Type anything has the same basic format as a tag, with one minor difference (which I don't remember at this time).Way down in the HelpID.doc SDK document shows a lot of examples on how to make your own tooltips with success. Check if you can spot the Microsoft mistake on the attitude indicator tooltip ;)Here are a few customized tooltips I use, which I believe work on my aircraft (plenty of own L:variables used though):Air Conditioner, Up For Cooling, Down For Blower OnlyAltimeter Calibration Knob (%((A:KOHLSMAN SETTING HG, inHg))%!1.2f! inHg / %((A:KOHLSMAN SETTING HG, mbar))%!1.1f! HPa)Oxygen (Pressure %((L:Oxygen Gauge,enum))%!4d! psig), click center to refill.Radio Height (%((A:PARTIAL PANEL ELECTRICAL,bool))%{if}%Frozen)%{else}%((A:Radio Height, feet) 5 - s0 (A:PLANE PITCH DEGREES,radians) abs tg l0 * (A:PLANE BANK DEGREES,radians) tg abs l0 * + l0 + 2500 min)%!d%)Any maths geniuses spot a possible mistake here?And finally a little tooltip monster :DVoltammeter (%((L:Ampmode,enum))%{case}%{:0}Left Alternator Load%{:1}Right Alternator Load%{:2}Battery Load or Charge%{:3}Battery Voltage%{end} %((A:ELECTRICAL BATTERY BUS VOLTAGE,volts) (A:ELECTRICAL BATTERY LOAD,amps) /-/ (L:LoadBatt,amps) + (A:Electrical genalt2 bus amps,amps) (L:LoadRalt,amps) + (A:Electrical genalt1 bus amps,amps) (L:LoadLalt,amps) + 4 (L:Ampmode,enum) case)%!d %((L:Ampmode,enum))%{case}%{:0}Amps%{:1}Amps%{:2}Amps%{:3}Volts%{end})These examples shows a few ways to utilize the tooltip in a much better way than the default (INHO).

Just to add, you can use localization with selfmade tooltips, at least if you use HELP_IDs (see gauges.h of the SDK, or fs2k2gauges.h in sd2gau13.zip) to compose localized Tooltips. If there isn't a matching HELP_ID you have to use your own, without any localization.One example is boeing747-400Autopilot VS Switch.xml . It doesn't add to readability of course.Arne Bartels

Thanks, I never noticed that one before.I _could_ rewrite all my gauges to support localization (well, most), but I won't... Enough is enough! :D