Sign in to follow this  

Antonov An-72/74

Hello,I started designing a new plane: Antonov An-72. The visual model is almost ready, except texturing. But I have a question: does anybody have any information about the main gear mechanism. Usually it is well hidden on photos!Check up a screenshot

I'm just making a guess here but I think it's very much like the C-130.... Basicaly it retracts in a fairly linar upward motion....however I could be totaly off base.By the way AWESOME JOB!!!!! I can't wait for this one. will you be releasing a set of master textures/repaint kit??? Bush Flying unlimited needs one of theseBrian

>I'm just making a guess here but I think it's very much like >the C-130.... Basicaly it retracts in a fairly linar upward >motion....however I could be totaly off base. No, they retract underneath and to the center of the aircraft. There are two large doors underneath that open up inwards. I wish I had a picture to show you....The nose gear rotates up foreward, that much I know. I built a plastic model of one of these a few years ago - that's how I know about the large doors. You can check airliners.net, but I think almost all the pictures they have show the gear down and the belly is hidden.This picture "almost" shows what I mean...www.airliners.net/open.file/236357/L/I started building one in FSDS awhile ago, but I decided that aircraft isn't my "thing" and I decided to stick with scenery. I have a question though - if you look at the way the engines are opened up in this picture...www.airliners.net/open.file/238292/L/Do you think that this is for thrust reversing, or is it to help redirect the exhaust downwards? Maybe it's just for maintenance? What about the cargo doors - are you going to model them? They move a little funny too.- Martin

>>Basicaly it retracts in a fairly linar upward >>motion....>No, they retract underneath and to the center of the >aircraft. Thank you all for your contribution, but I think I didn't ask the right question. Of course I know very well how the gear retracts, by the way the model is completely animated. What I don't know is the mecanism of the belly - it's always hidden behind two little shields. You cannot guess it just by looking at photos, I analyzed tons of them. Finally I made them as on other Antonov cargo - An-12.>I have a question though - if you look at the way >the engines are opened up in this picture... >Do you think that this is for thrust reversing, or is it to >help redirect the exhaust downwards? Yes of course, it's thrust reversers. If you look closely you can notice there are two stages here: the first (inside) redirects the jet upward and the second (outside) turns it forward. Both are animated in the model. You must remember that this aircraft employs all means to shorten its landing. This is why the engines are placed in such an unusual way, the wing mecanics is very sofisticated (three-sectionned and two-sectionned flaps, slats, spoilers) and of course there is a reverse. There was a breaking parashute on early prototypes but it appeared to be useless since the plane landed at a very low speed (about 90 knots)>What about the cargo doors - are you going to >model them? They move a little funny too. Oh yes, they are object of Antonov's patent. The cargo door is splitted into two parts. The upper part slides back along the fuselage. The other part can either pivot (on ground) making a loading ramp or slide forward under the fuselage (airborne) making an opening for paratroopers or humanitary aid. This is also animated in the model.Actually, I am making templates for painting this aircraft and I've already found a painter. Also, I plan to design a virtual cockpit but to do this I have to wait for a new panel to be released (the work is already started). What do you think - should I upload this aircraft without virtual cockpit - in a week or so- or should I finish all the work on it and upload the plane with everything that can go with (panel, sounds, VC) ? In this case it can take about a month.

>What do >you think - should I upload this aircraft without virtual >cockpit - in a week or so- or should I finish all the work >on it and upload the plane with everything that can go with >(panel, sounds, VC) ? In this case it can take about a >month. I would wait until the VC is finished. More and more people are wanting a good VC, and forcing folks to d/l an entirely new .mdl file, textures, and gauges at a later day would be a fairly large d/l...That's just my 2 rubles, YMMV... :)

I agree with Bill. Make the whole package ready first...Many people hate nothing more than "patch after patch" planes...

>I agree with Bill. Make the whole package ready first... >>Many people hate nothing more than "patch after patch" >planes... That is why I truly dislike releasing a revised flight dynamics Friday, but there are quite a few who're still having difficulty controling the Socata with the current set.OTOH, we released the Socata with some known issues, and will address them with a scheduled, "90 Day Incremental Upgrade." This should be the end of that project... ;) But, those issues aren't severe enough to have warranted a delay in the previously announced release, or keep folks from enjoying the fruit of our labor.I'm going to take a new tack with the Beriev BE103, by building the VC first, and then scaling the 2d panel based on the VC. I'm thinking that may be easier in the long run...

HI,okay, I agree I misunderstood...Maybe I'm nearly on my own, but I hardly use VC's since I've not found one that pleased me. So, I alter the view dir in the (2D) panel for a better view on the landing site AND all (more or less) usefull instruments.In short: I'd like the '72/'74 without a VC (But will of course gladly accept anything that this will become...). Maybe You could do an "interim release" ????Thanks for Your great work,ToMey

Awsome!!!My dream dream come true,i wanted a An-72 or 74 for long time now!!!!

Guest David20UK

I have to say, I would love the aircraft in a week without the VC, that is just such an amazing bird!!!If you do have a template, would it be possible for me to paint the Enimex aircraft that is regularly seen in the UK, as it is chartered and sub-chartered by Channel Express?ThanksDavid Johnson

I am sorry to make you wait too long. I still have no templates for An-72 and still haven't started working on VC. I have to finish some older work - Antonov An-10 and Yakovlev Yak-40. The first one will be uploaded to avsim today, the second - very soon. Then, air traffic versions will follow. This is quite important especially for Yak-40 since there were at least 5-10 of them in every ex-USSR airport.As for templates for An-72, I promise to start working on them this week-end. Enimex was exactly the livery I wanted to paint it into. So what painting should I prefer now ? Aeroflot ? Antonov Design Bureau ?Regards,DimitriP.S. check out this An-10 that I will upload this evening. If you know my previous model ("teuf"), the changes are only exterior - compressing gear struts, opening door, right lighting, right night texturing, metal glare. And of course, a new livery.

Outstanding work Samdim!I will dl it for sure!Since i'm waiting for an AN-72/74 for since fs2k, i can wait another month or so to have a VC.

A gentle bump to keep all our WIPS in view for our customers and guests.