Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Pitch_Stability in FS2002pro

Hello, Please could someone kindly tell me what the parameterpitch_stability in the flight tuning section of the aircraft.cfg file in FS2002 pro controls?I have been fiddling with it, and was wondering what effect it had.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The pitch, roll, and yaw stability scalars control the damping effect of movement about those axes. They scale the airfile parameters (Cm_q, Cl_p, Cn_r) up or down as a percentage of the value set for those parameters. Thus, 1.0 represents 100% of the airfile parameter value, 1.1 is 110%, 0.9 is 90% etc. The pitch_stability aircraft.cfg file entry is related to pitch damping (A/C movement about the lateral axis) and it scales the corresponding airfile Rec 1101 Cm_q parameter up or down.Higher numbers for these entries will result in the A/C becoming more resistant to movement about the related axis, and it will also be more resistant to returning to its original state (pitch angle, bank angle, and heading). I could do without this "convenience" from the MSFS team (and the FS Edit utility), it oversimplifies things and results in a flight model that does a poor job of representing a real A/C. I always leave the (flight_tuning) section scalars at 1.0 and change things in the airfile.To model the pitch dynamics of a real A/C in MSFS with regard to static and dynamic stability is a more complex task than simply increasing a scalar in the aircraft.cfg file until the A/C no longer pitches wildly up and down if you sneeze while holding the joystick (although I have done just that when I first began to fool around with the MSFS flight dynamics, and it can achieve a better result than the original programming from MS). :)