Sign in to follow this  
Guest mike_cyul

Possible to edit gauge resolution?

Guest mike_cyul

I've been using FS Panel Studio to edit a VC panel. The gauges look crisp and sharp on the PS Panel screen, but on the VC panel they are at very low resolution, blurry and hard to read. The panel bitmap itself is fine, it's just the gauges.I assume this is because of the resolution used when mapping the VC panel on the model?If so, does anyone know how to change that resolution? I tried modifying the panel.cfg VC window parametres, which are presently as follows:[Vcockpit01]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=1024,1024visible=0pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$pan1...But changing the size_mm and pixel_size to larger doesn't seem to do anything - unless I didn't do it properly....Anyone have a suggestion?Thanks,Mike F.

Hi, Mike.Resolution is dependent on your bitmap, and you are at 1kx1k, which is fine. Try to look under Options in your sim and make sure you have your VC set to full right / max. Also you should try to run your sim at 1600x1200 for best display. TV

Guest mike_cyul

Thanks for the suggestion. The VC settings in FS9 are at maximum. This problem only occurs with this VC panel's gauges (not the bitmap behind), and I have the feeling it's because the entire set of gauges for this panel are crammed into one window in the cfg, instead of being separated into two or three, as with most other panels. The gauge faces are thus quite small relative to the space/size allocated, and even when at the 1024 size the faces just too small for the number of pixels at that resolution to show clearly in the VC.This is why I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the pixel resolution of the gauge window itself larger, not the panel bitmap itself, which, at 32 bit, is clear an sharp.Mike F.

>This problem only occurs with this VC panel's gauges (not the>bitmap behind), and I have the feeling it's because the entire>set of gauges for this panel are crammed into one window in>the cfg, instead of being separated into two or three, as with>most other panels. The gauge faces are thus quite small>relative to the space/size allocated, and even when at the>1024 size the faces just too small for the number of pixels at>that resolution to show clearly in the VC.>>This is why I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the>pixel resolution of the gauge window itself larger, not the>panel bitmap itself, which, at 32 bit, is clear an sharp.The short, and disappointing answer is no. You would need the source file for the model to re-map the VC gauge into at least two separate sections in order to double the resolution.That is why I would NEVER attempt to cram everything onto one VC gauge texture, unless I could fit both halves of the VC gauge texture onto one map (using both top and bottom). Typically, there is a LOT of "wasted space" on VC gauge texture(s) that could be used to map the other parts of the panel.In my latest project, I've managed to utilize every pixel on two bitmaps to place SEVEN separate gauge mappings onto them, while giving every gauge the max resolution possible... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest mike_cyul

Ah well! :( Thanks anyway! :)Mike F.