Sign in to follow this  

Guest pscarratt

hi,Does anyone know if the FS yaw damper actually deflects the rudder? I thought i could try and make a yaw damper input gauge by comparing the rudder deflection to the pedal movement but nothing seems to register.Any ideas?

Paul,I believe the yaw damper will only limit how much yaw that is applied (soften the yaw to the left and right)when the value set in the air file. I don't think you can control this value without being able to change the value in the air file.I had a simular idea making a bank angle limit gauge like on the 737 MCP; But, you can't change the bank angle limit in the air file during flight.I'll be watching this post for an answer if anyone has any luck. If you find out how let me know.

I understand that in real life modern jets need powerful lateral controls (large fin/rudder areas) to be able to cope with an engine-out situation. This can result in a tendency to dutch roll at altitude. Yaw dampers are fitted to eliminate/minimise this dutch roll.

Guest pscarratt

Yes but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a variable in FS that tells you the magintude of the force being applied to the rudder by the auto system. This is what is displayed by the gauge in the 737 and is what I am trying to recreate.Cheers,

Check this line in the 'autopilot' section of aircraft.cfgIf it has a zero value, you won't get any yaw damper happening:yaw_damper_gain=1.0Doug