Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Brakes inoperative after autotaxi.

Here's one for the XML gurus.In the attached text file is a gauge that controls the speed when autotaxi is switched on. The speed is set in the AP and the variable (L:atspeed,bool) activates speed control. (L:atspeed,bool) is switched in another gauge, and I know this is working because the lamp is working in this other gauge.The problem is that after this gauge is switched off, so that (L:atspeed,bool) equals zero again, the brakes cannot be activated with the period key or the set joystick button. I also have a gauge on the panel that can be clicked to operate the brakes, but this won't work either. The breaks just die completely. Reloading the plane solves the problem. I have checked with the debugger gauge for repeating events that may be switching the brakes off, but this is not happening. However, the parking brake still works. I've scratched the brain box long and hard, but now I need help.Many thanks,nick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Nick,Well, I consider myself a "brakes" guru, if that will do :-)What you describe is not related to XML specifically (you'll have the same problem with a .gau gauge), but this is a "feature" :-( of FS2004.If you read the README of my groundhandling gauges (file rcbgh-32.zip), this issue is fully explained.Extract:""If FS2004 detects that proportional brakes are used, either from toebrake pedals or controlled from a gauge, it disables the non-proportinal brake commands, meaning that ".", "F11" and "F12" no longer work. If you use the toebrakes calibration function of FSUIPC, this problem is not there for toebrake pedals, because FSUIPC interacts with the sim engine directly, implementing it's own way of emulating "proportional" brakes (the same way it allready did for FS2000). ""Now, in your gauge you use the Left/Right BrakeAxis function, which will cause this problem. The only way to avoid it, it to use the old K:BRAKES event (or BRAKES_LEFT and BRAKES_RIGHT) instead (which simulates "proportional" by the amount of brake events given). But that doesn't allow for real proportional braking of course.Hence your only option is to make two versions of the gauge:- One for users that have NO toebrake pedals (or pedals via FSUIPC),that use Brakes / BrakesLeft/BrakesRight events.- One for users that use Toebrake pedals, using the Axis events.You HAVE to deliver both versions; if you use just one with Brakes event, the gauge will not work anymore if the users applies the Toebrakes once. Because I don't think it's possible to detect in an XML gauge which "brake" configuration a user is using in his sim setup.I had to do this for my Taxispeed gauge (in rcbgh-32.zip) as well.If you want to know more, drop me an EMail..Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Hi Rob, I didn't think I'd get a responce to this one, and I was very pleasantly surprised to see such a comprehensive explanation. Many thanks for clearing this up, and I now understand the problem. Fortunately, in a way, this is a problem with a couple of aircraft I uploaded some time ago. My latest masterpiece only uses the parking brake, thank God. If I can find the time, I'll try the other brake commands.Many thanks again. I have been educated.nick