Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

$dummy texture in virtual cockpit

Hi AllThe dummy texture that you apply to your virtual cockpit in gmax ,does that have to named as a dummy texture before you apply it to a surface and does it need be be saved as a 8 bit image.Cheers Rhys

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Hi All>The dummy texture that you apply to your virtual cockpit in>gmax ,does that have to named as a dummy texture before you>apply it to a surface and does it need be be saved as a 8 bit>image.You only need a named $xxx texture in GMax! You do not need to create a $xxx.bmp texture for the sim to use.The "$" prefix is a flag that tells FS to automatically create a dummy texture when the panel is loaded.For GMax purposes, you can use a .bmp (8, 16 or 24 bit), .tga, .jpg or .psd format. GMax can read 'em all. When Exported, MakeMDL.exe will automatically use the root filename with a .bmp extension for you.

I have found that even in a VC you can put in your own background texture that actually appears in the VC in the same manner as in a 2D panel. Here a snip of the panel.cfg of my upcoming FS9-Version of my Dornier 128-6:[VCockpit01]file=VC_Pmain.bmpsize_mm=500,383pixel_size=1000,766texture=$Pmainbackground_color=0,0,0visible=0The texture line has the virtual $Texture for gmax in it as must be, but withfile=you can add your own background texture into the panel folder that will then show up in the VC panel area defined in gmax. Please note however that this texture will have to be an exact match of the width/height ratio of the original $bitmap else it will be stretched/compressed to fit. Any panel bitmap parts that need to be invisible can be defined as 0,0,0 in RGB format as usual.Also notice I have doubled the pixel_size (resolution) for the gauges in the VC for better readablity. I could not detect any detremental effect on framerates on my machine but the visual effect was astounding!You might ask why I don't texture the VC via gmax as would be usual? My designer collegue Anthony (Antonis) Konstantinidis who did the excellent 3d gmax design and texturing work on my bird has disappeard from the face of my earth before having completed the interior so I have decided to finish it as well as is possible well knowing it can only be a sort-of beta-release but we got as far as we did and I think it is good enough for the time being. Though if anybody (especially from Greece) should have any info on the whereabouts / health of this gentleman I would be highly obliged if communication could be restored :-)

>I have found that even in a VC you can put in your own>background texture that actually appears in the VC in the same>manner as in a 2D panel. Here a snip of the panel.cfg of my>upcoming FS9-Version of my Dornier 128-6:This exact information has been posted at the top of this very forum since Nov-24-04 08:59 AM... ;)I'm sorry to hear about Anthony's disappearance! He released a repackage of my TB20GT in Hellinic livery early last year, but I haven't heard from him since.Best of luck with your Dornier 128-6! Do you have the .gmax source file, or are you having to work in the blind?

Bill, thanks for your reply. Good to know the VC texturing thing is already in a sticky at the top, I just found this by fiddling with the panel.cfg...As for Anthony Konstantinidis, could you point me to his repaint of your TB20GT that you mentioned? Didn't find anything here nor at flightsim nor anywhere else. It might contain a new email address. If you have one please PM it to me for a cross-check.Sadly I don't have the gmax source code for my bird, just my original which I converted from AF99 that he then filled with more detail (including beautiful outside textures) and particularly an interior.He disappeared after letting me know he would be off to Crete for his annual vacation to take refuge from the 2004 Olympic games but said he would be back after the Paralympics ended. Had no contact since, not email nor snail mail and no phone number registered...