Sign in to follow this  
Guest airhead

Turning off the radios

I'm working on a radio stack replacement. My radios have power switches, which currently just turn on/off the digits. Is it possible to actually turn off the individual radio functions (silence the voice com, and turn off the nav outputs?) An XML solution would be great (I haven't found one), but I can write some helper C code if necessary.Any and all help/hints appreciated.DouglasI did find Topic #504, which discusses tuning the COMs to an unused freq when off, which is crude, but effective, I suppose. Any advances in the last three years?As for NAV outputs, I'm thinking about 'failing' and 'unfailing' the OBSs and ADF. Can't seem to do this in XML, does this make sense to do in C?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried TOGGLE_AVIONICS_MASTER ? Disables ATC voice & messages, as well as NAV/ADF radios. Not sure whether it works on all aircraft. It affects the whole COMM/NAV set; if you need to manage each radio individually I guess you'll have to put on unused frequencies (as you already know...) I'm using both methods in my radio set.Regards,Tom

Tom,Thank you, I have not tried that; I'll play around with it, but as you say, it won't be useful for turning off just a NAV-COM, or just the ADF or DME...Douglas

I believe TOGGLE_AVIONICS_MASTER will turn the whole kit and kaboodle off, but I think Doug is looking for the ability to turn the units off individually.It is possible to hide frequency displays (via visible tag) and keep the user from being able to tune frequencies and manipulate controls (using custom L vars) on the actual gauge unit, but the user could still tune the frequencies via keyboard or hardware (i.e. GoFlight module) no matter what you do in the gauge. You might be able to prevent keyboard input by using a Keys section implementing "on event" in the XML file, but I would guess circumventing GoFlight units as well as others might be another story.