Sign in to follow this  
mgh

ground track, heading, beta, wind, etc....

Hi all. My first post here, so thanks for taking the time. Great forum!!! I'm working on a Navy/Hornet-style HUD for myself, for carrier landings, which possibly I'll release as freeware if it's good enough. I'm almost finished with it, and it works great. EXCEPT... heheh.... the velocity vector needs some tweaking.My main question:1) Is [TrueHeading - ArctanWorldVelocities] equal to the [HeadingDegreesGyro - MagVar - ArctanworldVelocities]? I'm thinking no, or else MS would've used the simpler version in their 747 ground track code. They used DegreesGyro - MagVar. Why?? I can't figure out why the two values wouldn't agree.....And... a few periphery questions.... ;-)2)Is there no variable which directly gives something like [ActualTrack minus WhereAircraftNoseIsActuallyPointing]??? That would be really convenient! I fooled around with using a ratio between VelocityBody lat. and long. , but got strange results, jumping around, etc. The Arctangent of the 2 horizontal world velocities vs. true heading seems to be much more accurate and stable.... Theoretically it seems like the lateral speed component vs. heading could be used, but I've had no success. Anyone get these to work as an indication of track???3) Is INCIDENCE BETA (sideslip) done correctly by Microsoft?? I'm neither an engineer nor computer programmer, but it seems to me that if your nose is pointing at one heading, and your track at another, then you're slipping, whether it has to do with rudder input or wind. How would the pitot tubes know the difference??? It seems like Beta SHOULD be exaclty the difference between heading vs. track. With AOA, in the other axis, if there's a wind that has a vertical component, it registers as change of AoA, no? Why would, for the sake of symmetry, beta no do the same thing? Just curious!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ignore please. I've only just seen the second post :(