Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

gauge/program to write NAV and ADF freqs to FS

Hello everyone,Not sure whether this is the correct section (and please excuse me if it isn't), but I think it contains the right people.OK, I'm a scenery designer by "trade" and have been working on animated ground scenery, including gates and service trucks etc. I am using the NAV2 freq, ADF freq and Transponder code to control my animations. Eg, the ADF frequency controls the rotation of the gate, with a low freq being 0* rotation and a higher freq being say 30* rotation. (can't remember the exact values off the top of my head)The result is that by tuning the NAV2, ADF and setting the transponder code to certain values, I can position the gate exactly to where I want it to be, regardless of the aircraft.My curiosity is this: would it be possible to write a gauge (or preferably a program) that would change the frequencies that my animations are using (at a constant rate) according to a list of pre-sets? For example, say if I have a 737 parked at a gate, the frequencies needed to position the gate outside the door are 113.5 (nav2), 265.0 (adf) and 1270 (transponder). The gauge/program would have a list of the 3 values for different aircraft types that could be selected by the user, thus animating the gate or service trucks. This list of pre-sets could be stored in an .ini or a .cfg file which the gauge/program would use. In the gauge/program, the user would select their aircraft type from a menu, and the freqs would be tuned for them.Obviously I know that I can change the frequencies using the radios, but what I would like is for that to be done automatically and at a constant rate, without the user having to change the freqs manually.Unfortunately, I have no programming knowledge at all, and would therefore be very grateful if someone found the time to make such a utility (ofcourse, if it is simple to do) or at least advise me on my plan.Thank you and kind regards,Sergs

Hi Sergs,I assume you are talking about a freeware addon ??Because this sounds like an interesting scenery :-)To answer your questions:Yes, automating these pilot actions to set radio frequencies needed to manipulate objects in the scenery is very well possible.I fact, in have once made an attempt to make such a gauge (never finished it though) to automate the arrival, parking and departure handling in Oliver Pabst' great "EDDW2004" scenery (which uses the same principles I guess).Now, I assume you would also want such a gauge to be switch on/off by the pilot, since that would allow the radio devices to be used for it's normally purposes when the aircraft is not in your scenery.(but even that could easily be automated; like On when the aircraft is on the ground and within a certain area).Storing the required frequencies into an (editable) .ini file won't be a problem as well. In fact, by placing a version of this .ini file in a local aircraft folder, the pilot does not even have to select his aircraft; which makes it open-ended for ANY aircraft/aircraft version, since the user can adapt this .ini file himself (specifically for his aircraft) based on some supplied instruction.I have a few more tips and questions about this, so if you're interested drop me an Email.Cheers, Rob Barendregt*edit*For others: I don't know if there are other options to have a gauge communicate with a scenery, instead of using the standard FS variables like radio's ; eg. privately defined global variables (L:Vars in XML).Because that would make it a lot simpler.But I have never heard of that.