Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Anybody using Air Wrench?

Is anybody using Jerry Beckwiths Air Wrench programme? Any forums anywhere?This tool looks to me like it could help me to enter the esoteric world of FDEs -- but getting info or finding fellow novice travellers is like trying to find hens teeth.Thanks for any helpBarry

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Is anybody using Jerry Beckwiths Air Wrench programme? Any>forums anywhere?>>This tool looks to me like it could help me to enter the>esoteric world of FDEs -- but getting info or finding fellow>novice travellers is like trying to find hens teeth.>Barry I just registered Jerry's AirWrench. It appears to have quite a bit of potential. One can try it as a 'read only' version and AirWrench will display info on existing FS Aircraft. It plots some graphs: Roll Rate, Rate of Climb, etc. It also displays a CG, CoL, LG diagram. I converted a PA-28 with AirWrench. Have yet to fly it to compare with my hand-crafted original. I expect AirWrench is much better than MS' FSEdit. $18 is a small price to pay to get decent FD's. I think it is based on Jerry '1% Workbook' spreadsheet, but appears to be much easier to use. Check it out at:http://www.mudpond.us/AirWrench_main.htm Ron

> One can try it as a 'read only' version and AirWrench will>display info on existing FS Aircraft. It plots some graphs: >Roll Rate, Rate of Climb, etc. It also displays a CG, CoL, LG>diagram. >> I converted a PA-28 with AirWrench. Have yet to fly it to>compare with my hand-crafted original.>I also have edited the default AI PA28 in accordance with the tutorial on his website. At first , I couldn't get it to work because the demonstration mode has some "conditions" that I couldn't meet. For example, the default AI PA28 is a fuel injected a/c and the demonstration mode will only allow you to edit gravity fed a/c. Afyter fixing that little problem, I discovered that it still would not allow me to enter the edit mode - so I changed the HP to only 80 HP from 180 HP - this then allowed me to enter the demonstration mode and I finally got to be able to carry out the entire tutorial. The a/c then flies quite nicely for me and I can't really tell much difference between it and the Carenado Archer and the Dreamfleet Archer. -- all 180 HP models. I think it also has potential - but it is probably of no real use to me because it seems to me that as a developer you need to have very exact dimensional figures , etc and I don't have access to those. I really like the Carenado Mentor -- but something doesn't feel quite right with it at low speeds - like on approach to an airport. So I am wondering whether the COG is correct or whether the figures entered for various control surfaces are correct. I thought that I might have been able to use this tool to finetune the FDE to my liking -- I have no idea how the real a/c handles. From the limited response to this post , it looks like nobody else has played with it yet.Barry

Guest Ron Freimuth

>> One can try it as a 'read only' version and AirWrench will>>display info on existing FS Aircraft. It plots some graphs:>> I converted a PA-28 with AirWrench. Have yet to fly it to>>compare with my hand-crafted original.>>>I also have edited the default AI PA28 in accordance with the...>flies quite nicely for me and I can't really tell much>difference between it and the Carenado Archer and the>Dreamfleet Archer. -- all 180 HP models. I edited my DF Archer. ;) Some of the distances in Aircraft.cfg may be off. I'll have to try the AI PA-28.>I think it also has potential - but it is probably of no real>use to me because it seems to me that as a developer you need>to have very exact dimensional figures , etc and I don't have>access to those. Well, you need some AC info to model an AC. Wing area, etc. is most important, the tail data can probably be off 10% or so. If the .mdl is accurate, one can scale it. Aircraft Configuration Manager (payware) is very useful for getting this info.>I really like the Carenado Mentor -- but something doesn't>feel quite right with it at low speeds - like on approach to>an airport. So I am wondering whether the COG is correct or>whether the figures entered for various control surfaces are>correct. I thought that I might have been able to use this>tool to finetune the FDE to my liking -- I have no idea how>the real a/c handles. AirWrench works out CG info. However, the wing_apex, etc. has to be set correctly in aircraft.cfg for this to work out right.>From the limited response to this post , it looks like nobody>else has played with it yet.>Barry I think it will become quite popular. Ron