Sign in to follow this  
Guest taipan_daz

CAB files

What's the best freeware, shareware, or reasonably-priced payware program that will create CAB files? Thanks.---Will

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>What's the best freeware, shareware, or reasonably-priced>payware program that will create CAB files? Thanks.>---WillWhy not simply use the one MS provides?Cabdir SDKIf you create add-ons for Flight Simulator, you can use the Cabdir utility (cabdir.exe) to combine all the folders and files in a directory into a single .cab file (similar to a .zip file), simplifying the process of distributing files to end-users, whether they download the file from a Web site or install it from a CD or floppy disk. You can use a setup utility to extract and install the files for end users or explain that they can manually view and copy files in the .cab file. http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul..._sdk.asp#cabdir

>Thanks Bill, up and running now.>---WillNo problem... BTW, just in case you don't know, the drop-dead simplest way to use cabdir.exe is like this...Make a folder and name it something like "MakeCAB"MakeCAB....cabdir.exe....My New XML Gauge.......my_firstgauge.xml.......my_secondgauge.xml.......a.bmp.......another.bmp.......more.bmp.......etc.bmpTo "CAB" this new gauge collection. simply drag the "My New XML Gauge" foldername and drop it on the cabdir.exe file...Voila! Instant CAB file created... ;)

I wish I knew I could do that Bill! I wrote my own batch file and everything for cabdir.I got so over it that I just reverted to using a plain old directory!