Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Guru level question... reworking existing aircraft.

Hi all,I'm afraid that this one may really be impossible but if it can be done, this is the crew to ask.I'm working with some others in a project where we take an existing freeware aircraft and go over it from end to end in order to make it as good as we can make it. The original author is not involved but what we're doing is well within the licensing... it's going to be as free as the original.I'm taking on the gauges... and found out a doosie tonight. The original AC has not one or two, but more than six VC panels. They all work but, as gurus I'm sure you realize that the gauges themselves are not exactly responding smoothly to changing situations.In fact, they all take rather large jumps no matter how well they're written because I put my own attitude indicator in there, which I purposely added several custom features to in order to make it smooth as silk, and it jumps 3-5 degrees at a time.It seems that we're getting an update cycle about 2x per second when set to update at 18. This is not only my machine, there are at least two others who confirm the same thing.Without the original model available to edit and re-combine the VC projector panels, what else could one possibly do in order to speed things up?Any thoughts, no matter how outside the box, are appreciated. Even re-creating the model as a new mdl isn't out of the question if it has to be that way but we'd *really* like to avoid that!Vorlin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You were me a year ago...make a new modelyou will be better rewarded

Sorry to say, but without the source code of the original model, there's really nothing that can be done...

Update:I gave it one day to see what I could find... which turend into a 15 hour marathon session!The existing gauges work fine but were made in what the author apparently thought would be efficient ways but really weren't. They were made at the size they were intended to display at. This made the scaling routines work some serious overtime and really ruined the look of the images. Additionally, a non-critical gauge was over 2 meg for a single dial and no fewer than nine different gauge files were being accessed... sometimes to only use one non-critical gauge out of an entire plane set of gauges.In short, she was a CPU and memory hog. So, I attacked it from the only logical strategy available to me. I began to remake the entire guage set myself in one single file that has nothing unused and make every gauge at 300px original size for clean and efficient scaling.After the first 3, the whole panel of gauges began to smooth dramatically... despite the fact that I had not yet slimmed my own work down from 24bpp images. At this point, I'm 2/3 finished and only now seeing some slight stutters, which I attribute to large bmp sizes since a lot of it is still in 24bpp format. Yep, it's time to run it all through the Imagetool mill.So far, so good... we'll see if I can make the gauges efficient enough to offset all those VC panels but, so far, it's looking as if it should work very nicely.Scott / Vorlin

Go get em tiger ;)Its fun making stuff work eh?