Sign in to follow this  
TheFiddler

emulating arbitrary keypresses from XML?

Greetings, I was wondering if it would be possible to "emulate" arbitrary keypresses from within an XML gauge. (The idea being to have something more convenient than umpteen key assignments for handling e.g. the various doors etc. of more complex aircraft, such as PMDG 744F. Note that more key comboes would be needed than just the usual "Wingfold" and "Tailhook" ones). A little search showed that, as usual, Arne (Bartels) and Rob (Barendregt) have been there years ago :-); see the old thread [a href=http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=122&topic_id=19532]"key access for XML gauges"[/a]. (Gentlemen, I really do appreciate all your hard work, and almost even more so the time you spend actually passing on all this valuable knowledge. Thank you!)[p class=dcmessage]At the time some questions were still open, it seems; but I couldn't find a continuation of the discussion, and the subject seems not to have made the FAQ here on this forum.Open questions were e.g. (according to Rob):The "raw" method apparently can not handle key combinations (such as SHIFT-ALT-X), or?Will this method in fact "intercept" the keypress, so that it never makes it to the actual FS9?Also, Arne supplied an XML example, but unfortunately that is no longer attached to the thread. Any other place to get it?My question:What is the current wisdom: Is it possible to generate arbitrary "key(combo) presses" from within an XML gauge?"Arbitrary" meaning that they are not tied to any standard events such as TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER4 etc. (I am aware that "door opening gauges" are available e.g. for the LevelD 767 and the PMDG 737, but I think these use "just" pre-defined events, not arbitrary key press combos.)Ideally, the generated output should be indistinguishable from a real keypress, so that add-ons which use their own key assignments, e.g. PMDG, can also be "fooled".Can it be done at all?Thanks in advance for all info, pointers to same, or examples!Cheers,Martin

Hi Martin,As far as I know: NO, it's not possible to generate keystrokes from an XML gauge (other than indirectly via an "unused" FS event).Rob

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. The interesting thread mentioned by Jon (even if it is about trapping, not generating, keys) is just the continuation of the old discussion I was unable to find.Looks like I'll have to go hunting "unused" events. As I am thinking about jet airliners, may be all those PROP and MAGNETO events will help, or the KOHLSMAN events (whatever that may be) :-)Thanks for your help!Cheers,Martin

Guest ceemosp

I found the answer...yippee...but then...it's NOT exactly what I was hoping to find x(So the output of keystrokes directly to FS9 is not possible........but I can change unused event :)Let me place the typical noobie question: How do I .......oooops....I think it's back to MORE browsing of the forum...or is there hope for a link in the right direction :-zhelp