Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

3d Studio Max

Guest sputman

HI, I am a fairly good modeller with Autodesk Maya, and I have used Gmax to export a few test planes with good results. I now have 3d Studio Max I can use, I have no problems using it - but I realise that the axis changes in Max when exporting to makemdel and in Gmax it seems to be fine. Is there something im missing, maybe an intermediate step?Ta for any help in advance

Guest Patrick_Waugh

While you can get a pluggin that will allow you to export to .X file format, it is only the standard format, and not MS's enhanced format.You will be better off just using GMax, as you can't do things like advanced lighting in 3DSMax without writing custom software.

For FS9 models, download and install Panda DirectX Exporter (4.8.63.0) for 3DS Max 8.0 http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/Files/3d...ter4.8.63.0.ziporPanda Directx Exporter (4.6.62.0) for 3DS MAX 6.0+ CS4.2 and 3DS MAX 7.0 http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/Files/3d...ort4.6.62.0.zipFor FSX, ACES will release the tools for Max7 and Max8 on the DVDs.The GMax version of the same tools will be released some few weeks later.The reason for your rotated axis is that Max uses a left-handed coordinate system. GMax uses as right-handed coordinate system. FS (all versions) use a right-handed coordinate system, so GMax works without any conversion problems.If you use the Panda DirectX Exporter, there is an option to convert the coordinate system you can enable to handle it seamlessly.However, the Panda DirectX Exporter only exports Diffuse Color and Specular Color channels for each Material. If you want to use Self-Illumination, you'll need to hand-edit either the .X file(s) or the .asm files and then compile.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator