Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Aircraft Handling Characteristics

I just read an article in Aerospace Professional (a Royal Aeronautical Society publication) in which John Farley - a former Harrier Chief Test Pilot - was asked to comment on the modelling of the Harrier in the Wings Over Europe game. His comments were generally critical but he made a general comment that I found interesting. This was that there was a difference in design philosophy between US and British aircraft designers in his day. He believed US designers tended to make more use of autostabilision and higher stick-forces than did British ones. He said one consequence was that US aircraft tended to stop rolling once the stick was centred while British ones needed an application of opposite stick to stop the roll. His comment on the British Hawker Hunter was that "you couldn't take your hands off the controls for more than a second or two without the aircraft rolling on bank one way or the other."

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, personally having flown the marine AV-8B sim and having a brother that is a Harrier pilot I'd tell you that you'd have to be a fool to take your hands off the stick for even a second, haha.Frankly, especially with a full load it will turn over in a heartbeat on takeoff. One of my brother's best friends died in just this way. That's one reason they have that nifty little wind vane on the nose for you to watch.

The remark I quoted related to the Hunter, not the Harrier.John Fsrlry also said that if it were trimmed properly it was possible to do a VTO with no stick input, merely by opening the throttle.