Sign in to follow this  
Guest J_G

Spline problem (or my own problem)

Guest J_G

Hi! I'm modeling (at least trying to) a fokker-100, I'm using spline modeling, first time I use it. I started to build the nose, and I get some weird forms, I know why I get it, because splines are not correctly positionned, but I don't know how to correct that, can anyone give me a hand?:-hmmm Here's a pic. so you see what I mean:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/158790.jpgP.S.: Don't know if it will have any thing to do but when I was alligning the splines, I used non-uniform scale, and I moved vertices too.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

It is hard to help you without understanding how you got to the point that you did.I will assume you created circular splines and then skinned them after moving the vertices.Once you moved the vertices of the circles "out-of-plane" you will see the surface as "bumpy".You must keep the splines co-planar.A better way than creating cross-sections and manually connecting them would be to "attach" them, and then skin them with the skin modifier.Even easier is to create a cylinder and just scale it into a fuselage as a poly.

Guest J_G

I created circles, tryed to align them, them attach them, add x section and surface modifier. After I made some adjustements on it in the vertex mode.Thanks for the reply, one thing, why skin modifier?

skin = surface...same thing! ;)Personally, the term "skin" makes MY skin crawl, but that's just me... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest J_G

Oh.. I was confused because there's also a skin modifier.Thanks for reply...Going to ask other thing, when I add a cross section to the splines, I have option on it for smooth, bezier corner etc. My question is, when I choose for example smooth, it will aply to all the splines and I can't change it on the vertex I want can I? I know I can change by right clicking, but then my circle also changes.. I only want to change in the cross section. Don't know if you're going to understand what I mean.. :-shy

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Sorry, yes surface... my bad. Don't want anyone skin's crawling :)I'm not sure I understand your terms. I call the circles "cross-sections".So, when you say you "add a cross section", to me that would mean that you decided you needed a new circle in the fuselage. Unfortunately, you cannot (as far as I know) easily add one in the middle after you have linked them (as they are ordered). So best way to do that would be to turn the thing into a poly and then slice it, which will create new verticies along the lines connecting the different cross-sections.But again, not sure what you are trying to do. Maybe a picture would help us understand.

Guest J_G

Ok, here's the pic.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159079.jpgInside the yellow circles is the part that I wanted to be straight, like the red line at the right shows, same with the other yellow circle and it's corresponding red line. But in Cross Section parameters I choosed Smooth because of the rest of the plane. My question is if I can only change the part I want into linear.Hope it's better now:-shy