Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Sound Gauge Wanted Please

I have a wav file that I would like to play, once, when I click an icon on a panel in FSX. I have read Doug Dawsons info on his dsd3 sound gauge but I am not expert enough to use the info to make my own gauge. Would some kind soul please tell me how I can do this? Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here is a simple example. In the XML gauge you will have a Mousearea for the gauge, inside that this example has a Mousearea for a switch that "clicks" and changes state (on/off).144.000,89.00050,50HandThe "1 (>L:ov_click2, number)" is telling the dsd_xml_sound gauge to play the "ov_click2" soundfile when you click the switch.The dsd_xml_sound gauge must be installed in the panel that uses the xml gauge.The dsd_xml_sound should be installed in the window00 section (and that window must be loaded and visible at panel startup) because it must be continuously updated by FS in order for sounds to actually play.The callout for the gauge must contain a reference to an .ini file that contains the sound references. Example:gauge62=dsd_xml_sounddsd_fsx_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3, 266,320,20,, ./Gauges/707_xml_sound.iniThis says that the dsd_xml_sound gauge is located in the /Gauges/dsd_xml_sound/ folder (that's in the FS/Gauges/ folder). It also says that the .ini file is named 707_xml_sound.ini and is found in the /Gauges/ folder. Note the "." (period) before the "/Gauges/" in the callout line - without it the sound won't work.The .ini file can be placed anywhere including the folder that the panel is in, but it seems sensible (to me) to put it in the /Gauges/ folder as long as the .ini file has a unique name.Inside the .ini file are the references to your .wav files. Example:[LVars]Lvar00=ov_clickLvar01=ov_click2[sounds]Sound00=./Sound/707_xml_sound/ov_click.wavSound01=./Sound/707_xml_sound/ov_click2.wavIn this example the name from the xml gauge is placed in the LVars section. The actual soundfile name is placed in the Sounds section. The LVar name and the .wav name in the two .ini sections do not have to be the same, they are connected by the item number. It is helpful if the names are similar when setting up the file, you can always change .wav file names at any time. This .ini file tells us where the soundfiles are located - in the /Sound/707_xml_sound/ folder. Note the "." (period) in front of the "/Sound/" - without it the gauge won't make any sounds.

Hi. Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. I really do appreciate the help. I copied it all to a text file for reference in the future. Your detailed explanation really helps me. Best regards, happy holidays, Bob.