Sign in to follow this  
Guest HNAC

display illumination

Hello,I have a question for you. What do I have to do in order to get permanently bright displays such as pfd,nd...Do I have to use the bright-command for materials? If so, how can I mix it with the already added z-bias command? Thank you!best regardsMartin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ok, no answers until now. So here is another one for you. In the makemdl.doc there is a material name prefix called "bright_". How does it work and what do I have to do to make it work? Does is work in the vc?best regardsMartin

Martin,First, you have to understand the basics of night lighting. There is a well written tutorial pinned at the top of this forum. Begin by going through that and the SDK. Although FSX is a bit different now, most of it still applies.Once you have played with the night lighting of a couple basic gauges, it will become clear to you how to proceed. If not, then come back here and ask us a specific question.To get help, you will need to tell us what version of the sim you are using (FSX or FS9), if you are attempting XML or C, what you have tried, how it has failed, and then post some code for us to correct. You might also need to post pictures and descriptions of your artwork if you have created it wrong.Finally, you might consider looking at a default gauge (if XML) that does what you want for clues how to do it.Good luck.

Hello Patrick,I'm using FS9 since I don't like FSX. I already read this great tutorial and everything works fine. My problem is: the night lighting is linked to the light switch. What I need is a permanently bright (dummy-)texture for some gauges like pfd,nd,ecam etc... I read about the "bright_"-command for materials. But I don't how to use it...best regardsMartin

The "BRIGHT_" prefix does not work for VC lighting, unfortunately.There is a method whereby you can hack the .asm files to create a constantly lighted gauge polygon, but I've never used it myself.Search the forums at freeflightdesign.com for further details on the technique. It was posted about three years ago, IIRC.

That's bad... I've already read the article you mention but found it a bit too complex... what do you do in such cases?