Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

A basic question:

Hi all,I have been redoing my 2D panels to fit my widescreen monitor but I have one problem that I haven't quite figured out. I have been living with it but it's time I find out how to fix it.The problem is that after I make my panel the way I want it, when I load the plane the panel is scrunched vertically and I have to click and drag it to the top of the screen and all is fine. I don't know how to make the panel size itself to full screen. What am I doing wrong? I have one other question panel related. If I modify the bitmap and the panel.cfg, would it be legal to share it with others with widescreen monitors as long as I am not charging for it? I.E. post it to perhaps the AVSIM library and elsewhere? There are more and more people getting widescreen monitors and I bet they would appreciate my work.I saw the default Baron 58 panel modifed here at the AVSIM library.Thanks in advance for any help.Dolph

>The problem is that after I make my panel the way I want it,>when I load the plane the panel is scrunched vertically and I>have to click and drag it to the top of the screen and all is>fine. I don't know how to make the panel size itself to full>screen. What am I doing wrong? We'd need to know the bitmap size and also see the Window00 entry header to provide an answer...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sure thing.One is [Window00]file_1024=Panel_Background_1024.bmp size_mm=640position=7visible=1ident=MAIN_PANELwith a bitmap size of 1280 x 792another is [Window00]file=main.bmp size_mm=640window_size_ratio=1.000 position=7visible=1ident=DASH_PANELwith a bitmap size of 1200 x 768.I forgot to mention that the window view also needs resizing along with the overlayed bitmap. There must be some hint here but I don't see it. I have tried various things. If I save a flight with the panel set up size-wise, it loads just fine - no adjustments needed. All I'm doing is modifying existing panels. I hope your answer isn't to make new bitmaps or something as I am not that talented.Thanks,Dolph

Alright, so I have read the SDK, searched this and other forums, and still I find no obvious reasons for the hassle of getting a panel with round holes to fill with gauges, and to easily get the panel to load up along with the window view to be in the proper position. It is all trial and error as far as I am concerned. There must be some math involved and I could calculate my settings (that is, once I know exactly which settings need calculation) that I could hit it right first time, every time. I have tried all sorts of things from resizing the bitmap every which way to various settings from the SDK to try to get the panel to load up properly. I don't want to be a pain in the neck to those of you who know what you are doing and understand this. I was the one that chose to go widescreen and I am the one who is picky about oval gauges. I can easily make all my panels glass using FSAvidyne and be done with it. Realism shrealism. I am computer literate to a point, that point has obviously been reached and I am heretofore content to fiddle until I get it right for myself. I am able to fiddle with it enough to get it at least. But I probably won't share my work with others if they have to fiddle too, resizing this and repositioning that is a pain and many will give up on it. The only thing I figured out so far is the place to adjust the window view I mentioned in my previous post is in the section at the bottom of the .cfg. The SDK got me there at least. I attached a shot of the reworked King Air. It only took me 6 hours. 8^)Dolph

Well, it appears you did a nice job on it. I wish there was an "easy" way to accomplish the task, as I too have a wide-screen monitor... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Thanks Bill. It was worth it. It is actually quite interesting because I can do whatever I want with the lengthened side of the bitmap. Sometimes I lengthen the right side and add more gadgets and gauges, but lately I have been lengthening the left side in order to keep the pilot's perspective. This one came out well because I can see the runway on the left for a smooth touchdown.How many panels of your own have you done? Are you good at enough to do it in a short time or does it take you awhile too?Dolph

Guest VAPilot

To get the panel to load up in the "proper position" you need to alter the size_mm to the size of the bitmap you are using, so your first bit map is 1280,792, it should look something like this:file=Panel_Background.bmp position=7size_mm=1280,792visible=1ident=MAIN_PANELnow when you load the panel up, it will be the correct size.Hope it helps

Hey, thanks! It does open to the correct size with those settings. I will do that for my next panel, the default Cessna is next. Dolph

Guest Epanel

Try,window_pos=1.000, 1.000window_size=1.000, 1.000regardsJonny

>How many panels of your own have you done? Are you good at>enough to do it in a short time or does it take you awhile>too?So far, my work consists of updating Eaglesoft's panels for wide-screen users, and about a half-dozen other panels from freeware a/c packages for my own use.For the freeware panels, most of the time I modify the background bitmap in Photoshop by adding to the left or right sides or sometimes by simply stretching and resizing the bitmap to best "fit" a 1680x1050 screen.If the a/c has a decent VC, I many even take a screenshot and massage that into a WS panel... ;)

Fr. Bill