Sign in to follow this  

Quick question for XP users

Hi all,I just got XP installed on my system. Man, what a nice change of pace. Everything seems more fluid, and definitely more intuitive. Anyway, I'm still in the process of migrating my files over from Win98 and I have my system set up for dual-boot. Just wondering how many XP users have dual-boot enabled on their systems, and, if so, what the reason(s) is/are.Thanks in advance, guys."Learn from your parents' mistake...use birth control!"(I M A UCLA) BruinAddictDemetriousAsus A7V266 MBAthlon XP 1600+ (@ 1.53)512MB PC2100 DDRVisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 (Detonator 28.32)NEC MultiSync E1100+ 21"SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1Cambridge DTT2500 Desk Top TheaterWestern Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Master)Western Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Slave)300W PSUWindows XP ProfessionalDirectX 8.0

Guest Lobaeux4

Bruinaddict,I've got XP installed with Win98SE on a separate partition. My reason was in case FS2K2 sucked with XP. On my system, which is pretty close to yours (I've got a 1700 o'clcked to 1800 and a GeF 3) it runs much smoother and quicker than on 98SE. Pleasantly suprised. With worldai and ATC set at 50%, most sliders around the middle, PSS Airbus and Gary Summon's London Airports, I'm getting around 10fps. Not great, but doable. Comparitve framerate? Probably looking at getting a 2100 and putting it in and then using the 1700 in another computer for wideview. This sim is definetly processor hungry!!JoeECS K7VTA3Athlon 1700512 DDR RAMGeForce 3 Ti 20040 GB 7,200 HDWinXP Pro14" monitor!!

Thanks for the reply, Joe. Are you going to keep Win98SE on your machine? Just trying to get some ideas for my own setup. I really don't see much point in my keeping Win98 on my system after I've moved everything over to XP, but, I kind of like the dual-boot thing."Learn from your parents' mistake...use birth control!"(I M A UCLA) BruinAddictDemetriousAsus A7V266 MBAthlon XP 1600+ (@ 1.53)512MB PC2100 DDRVisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 (Detonator 28.32)NEC MultiSync E1100+ 21"SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1Cambridge DTT2500 Desk Top TheaterWestern Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Master)Western Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Slave)300W PSUWindows XP ProfessionalDirectX 8.0

Guest Lobaeux4

I don't really see a reason to keep it on. It takes up 6GB of space, and with my FS2K2 folder continually expanding I'm going to need that space.What kind of frame rates you geting?JoeHuskies Rule!!

I'd agree with Joe - no real reason to keep it. My own experience is that if anything, FS2K2 is slightly smoother under XP than 98SEIf any programs give you problems, there's always compatibility mode in XP which will allow you to run them as anything from Win95 to Win2K images.

Hey Joe,I get anywhere from 10.5-12 fps at LAX using the full version of Yannick Lavigne's Falcon 50 in spot plane view overlooking the terminal area. I have ATC set to 100% and all sliders maxed, except Terrain Mesh=75; Max Visibility=90; Cloud Density=65; and Ground Scenery Shadows unchecked. I run it fullscreen at 1280x1024x32. Also, Hardware Lighting Effects is set to 1, and T&L is unchecked. Anti-Aliasing is controlled by GeForce Tweak Utility. I went into GTU and clicked the "Fast Settings" button initially, then selected the options I wanted to have at my disposal. Here's how my GTU is setup:BTW, by "Huskies Rule" I'm sure you meant UConn, right? :-wink2 Certainly it wasn't the University of Washington. (Just kidding. Actually, my favorite collegiate team is UCLA, then any team in the PAC-10 when they are playing out of conference. I'm a huge PAC-10 "homer." I have to be now that I'm in Big 12 country!)"Learn from your parents' mistake...use birth control!"(I M A UCLA) BruinAddictDemetriousAsus A7V266 MBAthlon XP 1600+ (@ 1.53)512MB PC2100 DDRVisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 (Detonator 28.32)NEC MultiSync E1100+ 21"SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1Cambridge DTT2500 Desk Top TheaterWestern Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Master)Western Digital 7200RPM ATA100 40G HD (Slave)300W PSUWindows XP ProfessionalDirectX 8.0

I also have a dual boot with 98SE. I originally put it on for most of the same reasons as others have stated. I kept it on though. I now use it to load and use programs that tend to put a lot of extraneous crap on your system. Office 2000 for one. :) I also test programs there to see how they behave, what kind of resources, registry items, etc. that they use. Basically it is my testbed. If it gets trashed; no big deal. It may save me some grief with my XP install, so I keep it, and it helps keep my XP install fairly clean.

Guest Lobaeux4

But of course I meant UW!! Actually, living in Arkansaw I have to root for all PAC-10 teams as well.I followed your settings on the GFTweak. We'll see what happens. I'm not sure why I don't seem to be getting the same framerates as everyone else. It might be my cheap ECS mobo. I just seem to be lacking behind everyone else, including in 3DMark scores, mine always seem pretty low.I'll try those settings, see what they give me.BTW, I am pretty sure I'm going to ditch 98SE.Joe

Guest oyvindhansen

You should be careful though when removing Win98. The dual boot feature relies on the first partition on the first hard drive no matter where you have XP installed. So if you format the first partition you will not be able to boot XP at all, and will probbly have to reinstall it.- Oyvind

I use Dual copys of Xp on the same drive and in its own partition!, I use the second copy dedicated to FS2002 which means I can fine tune the operating system by shutting down all the background services that I dont need fine tune the operating system so that I can use every ounce of CPU for the sim with out any fear of conflicts that may result from the use of other software etc. This also allows me to run my other copy of Xp with all the trimmings and as much as I like in the startup and all my 3rd party software as normal.The only downside is the need too reboot to run Fs2002 and the loss of some hard drive space because of the operating dupication.This setup is not for everyone but Im happy with it ! Cheers Pete..(FlyingBear)keep smilin' :-wave

Hi Pete,For the original poster, I also have a dual-boot, although I seldom (if ever) go to Win98SE now. I only dual booted for when XP was new.Pete: I'd be interested in doing what you do (having a seperate XP install for FS). I have the updrade (from Win9x) option, also the Home version. I'm wondering if that will cause XP not to install a 2nd time, since I've had issues with Win98 installs, just from having a backed-up file on my HD that the 98 install saw as the OS already existing- and then failed to install. This could be fixed with XP, however, and it's lack of preference for C:Also, Pete: What services did you shut down in XP?Thanks,Bruce.

HiI dual boot my XPPro with 98 for 2 reasons:1 I can't access the XP install disk from my CD-RW because it is SCSI and for some reason doesn't like the XP disk. Same drive and M/B has no problem installing NetWare though...odd.2 I have a microtek scanner Phantom C6 which has dodgy drivers which emulate SCSI through the parallel port. When 2K came out, Microtek said it wouldn't work. I mucked around with it for a week, had 2 profiles one for the scanner having 2K's unneeded scsi drivers disabled that it loaded by Pnp, and another profile for when the scanner's not plugged in. They lied. It worked. Under XP, I can't get the scanner working even though Microtek reckons "all" its products will work, and strangely their various regional websites do not list this particular item as ever having been produced by them....again, ODD.So, I need a 98 dual-boot to use my scanner.I don't like the fact that XP is spread over 2 partitions so I use PowerQuest Boot Magic. I can set my active partition at will and choose between OS's and each OS is separate from the other. Both full installs, in other words. So when I get a new scanner, 98 can go in the bin where it belongs and XP won't die.a caveat: I have a friend in El Paso who is having major problems with XP Home U/G. 98SE on C: and XP on D: which is a separate basic disk disk. It appears that XP's Automated System Recovery has problems if you don't have XP totally on one partition. I have yet to validate this, but I'm working on it. It's kinda hard helping him when I'm 5000 miles away.I would like to hear from anyone who knows the exact limitations of the Upgrade version of XP: namely do you need an existing 9x build in order to install XP or "reinstall" an XP build done with the U/G version? If the 98 build gets trashed does one have to reinstall it before repair work on XP can begin? Or, does the U/G version simply ask you to put in the 98 disk so Uncle Bill knows you paid for one?Best regards//Neil

Guest oyvindhansen

Neil:You only need the win98-cd(and possibly the registration number) and may innstall xp on a clean harddrive.And one good reason to have dual boot is that some good sims like Janes F/A-18 and PS1.3 have problems running in XP.- Oyvind