Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hugo

White Gmax objects in FS2002

Guest Cazador

Dear All:I have done the gmax tutorial included in the Ms gmax SDK, but when i fly at long distances from my gmax house, i see that the house doesn't shows their textures, i see a white bright house.Is there a way to solve this trouble?[A href=http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d66b05178754e6b.jpg]Example[/A]Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Guest Cazador

P.D:I don't see that problem using my FSDS objects!!!!Is a bug?Thanks.Alfredo MEndiola LoyolaLima Peru

Does FS2002 display the textures when you're up close? My first guess is that if it does you have a mip-mapping issue. Try taking the original texture files and running a "create mipmaps" command in ImageTool then save to an appropriate format and place it in the proper "texture" folder. If no texture ever shows up, even up close, then you need to make sure the texture is named properly and is in the proper "texture" folder.hope that helped.-Bill Womack

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest Cazador

Deal Bill:Yes, at close distances i can see the textures well, the problem is at long distances.I have my textures with mi maps and the format DXT1, i made the steps in the tutorial to create the DXT1 texture.Do you think that this problem was caused in the texure assign process in hte prgram gmax?Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

I suppose anything's possible, but I've never had a problem with assigning textures in Gmax. Besides, the textures you use in gmax will of necessity be different from the ones you use in FS2002 -- the two programs require completely different formats. I'd make those textures in ImageTool over again and try them. -Bill

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

This problem has been discussed here before. It was then about a dissapearing texture on a taxisign. If I remember right the solution was to place a bigger polygon at the ground level, as this only happens to small objects.If you search back on the forum for that post about the taxisign you should be able to find it. If I remember right the solution was posted by jkanold.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Hugo

Hi Alfredo,I'm in the same ball park as you are about having texture turning to white when getting to some distance from the object (actualy in my case at 2.2 NM or more). I have tried as someone suggested to remake the DXT1 texture with the mipmap but no avail.I did a search for the taxi signs but haven't found anything on the matter.As you mentionned I never had that problem before when using EODIf you happen to find something, I'd appreciate you post it here or email me. I'll do the same.HugoThanks for your tip about the ascii text problem you brought the other day. It worked! :-)Hugo,Montreal