Sign in to follow this  

Landclass question

I have recently looked at landclass assistant by John Cillis, to see if it would provide a simple method to help with a different task. I'm continuing to explore methods of blending 3rd party photoscenery into the default.It's downright seemless when you get the right default texture added to the edge of your own, but its pretty painful to find the right one. Has anyone figured out how to select a given raw x/raw y value and have the default landclass assignment reported as output?Bob Bernstein

Hi Bob.TMFViewer has a latitude-longitude entry in the Jump menu. You can zoom with the keypad plus key.Load worldlc.bgl, and you can jump to, and zoom in on the texture assignments.A caution here... my belief is that any displayed groundtile is a blend resulting from the cornering 4 vertex assignments. TMFViewer shows cell-like blocks of texture, so your texture assignment may not be the one under the center of the zoom, but may be a neighbor to that square.Also, the actual texture used may change at different latitudes, and altitudes, but you'll get a good guess using the SDK texture info.Dick

thanks Dick, it worked like u said...but I don't think the value of 20 is correct for identifying the texture to blend with...it worked better with a 27.....I'll keep working on it.B

Panos GeorgotasOpen LandClass.raw in Paint Shop Pro as *.raw image and edit there!

Panos Georgotas

Hi Bob.Remember that the number is the landclass assignment number, not the starting number of the texture.Orlando Sotomayor developed this landclass mapping table. I think it can be cut'n'pasted into a table, for use with a spreadsheet or word table. It can then be sorted by Landclass number. If the LC value was 20, Orlando's table tells me the texture was "024?????.bmp ( a mostly conifer forest ). It comes in 2 region types ( B = default, C = Red Desert SW USA ).Unfortunately for us, Orlando has been busy with the real world, and has not done much with FS2002 lately.Dick

ok, that was my mistake, and have a texture with 024b2 is a real possibility....thank you for the new understanding.B

Hi to all: How can i change the land class for know area?. I am reading the SDK docs and i cann

Hi Bob.If you are looking for a way of getting the info out of the running simulator, no luck. I think the actual groundtiles are built from the landclass info, which represents verticies.TMFviewer can read 'worldlc.bgl', and you can zoom, and type in specific Lat-Long locations. You could have the sim running, ( perhaps landcalc2 running ), and tmfviewer running, and read the LC assignments... but remember, a groundtile is a blend of the 4 verticies it touches.Now if you have an LC bgl that is entirely filled with info, and you see the sharp edge of the LC, why not try to make an edge border of value #254 ( transparent ) in your source file... making a buffer between your data and the default? I think that will work, and force the sim to blend the edges.I use 257x257 for a source, but John's use of 256x256 shouldn't make a difference here. Ring the edge with #254, and see. Let me know how it works.Here's a pic of a quick example. This is in the Sahara, my favorite testing ground. I decided to fill an LOD5 with tropical forest ( LC value #20 ). I made the edge of my 257x257 source #254... transparent. The pic shows FS2002 blending the edge with the transparent value... it works, and my Saharan Reforestation Project continues. :)Dick

Dear rhumbaflappy: i am trying to understand your thread. I load the worldwc.bgl (this is the bgl for water class) in the TMFviewer. I put the lat and long, i set the water class to display but the zoom is very OUT.When do you say:"I use 257x257 for a source" this is a bmp in raw format of the 257x257 pixels?. The #254 is rgb 254, 254, 254?.How can i do to make the source file?.Thanks you for the answer.Jose