Sign in to follow this  

Taxi signs

I have installed all available airports that taxiwaysign.com have develpoed and would like to create some of my own. I would like to try this on a small airport such as Jeffco (KBJC) and if this works share with others. I am not sure what I need to get started. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure whether this will help, but I wanted to add a couple of signs to my local airport. I know next to nothing about scenery design so it was very much trial and error.I took one of Taxiways .bgl files and ran it through BGLAnalyze to produce a .sca file. I then deleted all but one object (notepad) and then changed the Lat/long to the spot on my airport. Then by playing with 'ShadedTexPoly' points to extract the right figures/letters, and running Scasm/FlightSim lots of times, finally got what I wanted. Had to read the Scasm docs a bit.As I said, there was a lot of trial and error, and I expect the scenery gurus would have had a much better way of doing this.But it was quite a lot of fun, and it worked...David

Thanks for the info, You know much more than me about this. I may have to draw them on sticky notes and move them accross the screen as I taxi.

The world of design seems to be getting bigger so fast, I've finally accepted that I'll have to leave some stuff for others. that's why I've never looked into what's going on at taxiwaysign.com.However, designing the airports I care about is important to me. Many of these are small GA fields, some do have taxiway signs. I see these as extremely simple little contructions, and just make them as realistic little 3d macros using GMAX. The textures are usually from photos, and when I need to add something that the photo didn't show I use free information from the Airman's Information Manual, which is on line...do a search on AIM. A section there defines all the colors and intended placments for signage and markings.B

Thanks Bob, I work for Jeppesen so thankfully I can get what I need as far as picture etc. Is GMAX a purchased program? I will search the library for now.

GMAX comes with fs2002Pro, has been update by Discreet - www.discreet.com , Product-GMax, download 21+MB file. However, you need one important file that comes with fs2002Pro, FSModelExp.dle, which is a GMax Plugin that allows you to export your model. Without the Plugin, you are basically halted.Another program that comes with fs2002Pro, makemdl.exe, has been updated and is available at http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.asp in the MakeMDL_SDK.exe.Lastly, a final program that comes with fs2002Pro, imagetool.exe, is available at the above site in the customterraintextures_sdk.exe

Thanks for the info, I will look for all of this when I get home.

gmax is a fully featured 3d modeller, and provides a wonderful array of features. It takes a few weeks of effort to learn, but once you "get it", you'll be able to build just about any structure you want, whether its scenery or vehicles.Bob Bernstein