Sign in to follow this  

Texture size.

My problem is as follows: I used textures 1024x1024 converted to dxt1 and initially all looked OK. However, suddenly some of the users started to have problem with display. The textures were "pinkish" polygons wherever hirez was used. I started playing with FS settings and after switching off "hardware acceleration" box I got what I was looking for . Pink textures all over. The problem though that after switching back to "acceleration on" pink was still there. I could not restore textures untill I resized them to 512x512 and converted them again. That worked. Is there a limit for the textures in FS? And why it worked initially? Ted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't think there is a problem with big textures, we have used 1024x1024 textures without problems.But the pink problems reminds me of something else. I have had that before when I used BMP2000. That sometimes give a pink color in the mipmaps, causing the textures to look pink from a distance (not from very close). This was only visible when the mipmaps where on in FS. Maybe it is something similar to that?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Yes this is little disturbing: why it works and after a while it doesnt. Perhaps another question: in DXTBmp there are 2 methods of conversion Nvidia method and FS2K method , whats a difference and which one should be used? Also remember some talk about some Nvidia bug, what was all that about? Ted

Yes this is little disturbing: why it works and after a while it doesnt. Perhaps another question: in DXTBmp there are 2 methods of conversion Nvidia method and FS2K method , whats a difference and which one should be used? Also remember some talk about some Nvidia bug, what was all that about? Ted

Hi Ted!I have recently observed very strange phenomena on my computer but it happened to all DXT textures regardless of size (sizes are from 256x256 up to 1024x1024). I finally found out that the problem lies in Detonator 41.xx series of driver. And all began to appear together with API's converted from FS2000 code to FS2002 (upgrade of FSDS). Textures suddenly changet to something strange with red, blue, green, black, etc squares, just like if You see on computer POST screen if videocard brokes down. The next thing which was also clearly seen is that the object, which I am looking at has the right texture, but if I turn left or right, other objects became dark, without any textures. So finally I have reverted to 40.82 (WHQL) driver from nVidia but it is so new so I can't tell it this happens also with this driver. On 30.82 (WHQL) everything was okay.Maybe is this also in question with Your case?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

I also have seen aircraft lose textures. Somewhere during the time of 40.72 and DirectX 9 these weird occurances started. I have been able to correct by switching Bi/Tri-linear Filtering ON/OFF. I did have one aircraft last night that would get textures to appear no matter what I tried and I know the textures are there.I saw this alot using Shez KDCA Scenery.

Here is progress, or rather lack of it :(((I went to Martin Wright Graphic Site to update my DXTBmp program and all necessary dlls. Installed all. Run DXTBmp and during conversion of translucent texture got message: "Save error in nVidia codec. Image will be saved in old DXT1 code". Totaly in line with my pesymistic expectations the texture is NOT displaying in FS. Ted

Below the kind help tips I got on MWGraphics Site from Martin Wright:"The problem is that when you see that message the file is already corrupted and can`t be overwritten until you have shut down and restarted DXTBmp.If you get this message what you should do is :-1/ Save a copy of the current image in Targa format 2/ Shut down and restart DXTBmp3/ Load the Targa image4/ Save using DXT1 (non-nVidia) formatExtra tips - If the image doesn`t need the Alpha channel then save in DXT1 Opaque (there is no problem with this format)- If the Alpha is necessary then consider using DXT3 format. For blended ground textures this works better anyway because it allows 16 levels of transparency- If you are having trouble with particular textures not displaying properly in FS load them in to DXTBmp and see if they display correctly there. If they don`t then they are corrupted.Far from nVidia fixing this problem with later versions of the code it actually seems to happen more often now.DXT processing is done by the hardware on your graphics card. Drivers play a big part in how well they work. I had a long period when my DXT textures would suddenly turn psychedelic for no reason after I had been flying for a while. Once I updated to the latest drivers the problem disappeared" Looks like new drivers here are hard at work. I'll try all that and advise. Ted