Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

TerraScene to FS2002 HELP!!

I had asked Dick for a response but as yuet no response. I am making 7.5 minute files at 4.8 meter per pixel. What steps do I make to get my scenery to FS2002? I have attached a text file from the file I am working on. Would someone PLEASE! give me the steps involved and editing required?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dick,If you are going to make an example (out of Richard or Me :-lol ), please attach it since I would like a copy.

Dick;Thanks for the reply. The image is 1522x1957. I tried several times using TerraBuilder, but all I ended up with were the slices in TempTexture, a BGL in the scenery folder but nothing in the texture folder. When I copy the slices to the texture folder and make a folder in FS2002 all I end up with is a grey texture over the area.Have you heard anything of the program someone was working that would do the same thing as TerraScene? I like the Land Class from FSGenesis but it is not accurate in my area, and several lakes in my area are missing.I looked at the file you sent me but could not understand where you got all the different numbers, and FS2002 is much different than FS2000 or 98.If you need to send anything please feel free to do so!richardlhll@wmconnect.comAgain THANKS for the reply!Richard;

Hi Richard.This download is everything you'll need to make a your BGL and textures.-----------------------------------------Replace my version of brandonville.bmp and brandonvillew.bmpThen, just double-click on the Brandonville.bat icon.-----------------------------------------brandonville.bmp is your 1522x1957 24-bit BMP image.brandonvillew.bmp is your 1522x1957 24-bit BMP watermask... it should be black-on-white, for the Alpha water.-----------------------------------------First try everything as it exists... with my bitmap... just to make sure you get it working.Then rename my bitmaps, and supply your own.This setup can be the framework for future projects. Substitute the changes as you require.Note the 'Brandonville.txt' file is the one you supplied me. It came from Terrascene's output, along with the 2 TARGA images for the scenery and the watermask. It contains all the info you need to derive the INF files.==================================You will need, from Martin Wright: [link:www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/download/mwgfxdll.EXE|mwgfxdlls], to properly use Elrond's great tool, FSTexConvert103.Here's a link to Elrond Elvish's latest version of [link:www.terrabuilder.com/DL_Files/FSTexConvert103.zip|FSTexConvert103], which you may need.[link:download.microsoft.com/download/FlightSim2002/Install/sdk/W982KMeXP/EN-US/customterraintextures_sdk.exe|Imagetool], and the [link:download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/b/58bd152c-0251-4991-bcab-61f8e68134a1/FS2000_Terrain_SDK.EXE]OLD resample tools, are available from Microsoft.Dick

Dick;That one worked great, even the water. How do you get the night image included?Also you say Terrascene contains all the info I need to derive the INF file. I read it but still do not understand a few things. The Cellx and y demension numbers.

Hi Richard.To do the night textures, you need a night image and a water image ( again ).I'd rename the Brandonville folder as BrandonvilleSummer. Now you can make a copy of the BAT file and the INF file, and just change the name of the source bitmap to the night texture ( the water will be the same ). Then double-click the BAT's icon.The night textures now all need to be renamed. So, when the BAT is done making the BGL and textures, make a new batchfile with a text editor, and place it in the night textures folder:; Night.batren *su.bmp *lm.bmpDouble-click this bat, and it will rename all your night textures.Now you've got your renamed night textures... move them to the same texture folder as your SU textures.... you can delete the extra BGL, and toss out the unneeded extra scenery and texture folders, and the Brandonville folder.Now you should have a BrandonvilleSummer folder, with scenery and texture folders inside it. There should be one BGL in the scenery folder, and all your summer and night custom textures in the texture folder.==================Cell X and Y dimensions are this:Your image is georeferenced to exact latitude and longitude by Terrascene. What you want is the SPAN in degrees for X ( longitude ) and Y ( latitude ).north degrees minus south degrees is the Y span.east degrees minus west degrees is the X span.Y span, divided by one less than the image height ( in pixels ) is the CellYdimensionDeg.X span, divided by one less than the image width ( in pixels ) is the CellXdimensionDeg.CellXdimensionDeg = ( 39.8806 - 39.75 ) / ( 1522 )CellXdimensionDeg = 8.5808147174770039421813403416557e-5CellYdimensionDeg = ( 79.6306 - 79.5 ) / ( 1957 )CellYdimensionDeg = 6.6734798160449667858967807869188e-5 I think I made a slight error in the CellYdimensionDeg I used for your set... you might want to rerun it with these numbers. The error is very slight, and might not make a difference. Just make sure you use the same numbers for all your sets.Some designers will subtract 1 from the pixels number before they divide... you can do so, but I found my alignment with adjcacent BGLs was better this way.Do you see how the Terrascene TXT file gives the Lat and Long of the image? Image size and geo-span is all you need.=========================The batch file uses resample to make a set of textures, then a set of water textures. Then imagetool changes the water to 8-bit, and then uses Elrond's FXTexConvert to join the water images to your set as alpha channels. The batch then cleans up the leftovers to leave a neat and tidy folder set.I didn't use the exact LOD13 bounds... but commented those lines out with the semicolons. DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "Brandonville"UseSourceDimensions = 1; UseSourceDimensions = 0; NorthLat = 39.880371094 ; these values are LOD13 edges, --WITHIN-- the bounds of the set; SouthLat = 39.759521484 ; I used the limits below, and LODCalc ( with LOD13 ) to find these dimensions; EastLong = -79.511718750; WestLong = -79.628906250could be changed to [Destination]DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "Brandonville"; UseSourceDimensions = 1UseSourceDimensions = 0NorthLat = 39.880371094 ; these values are LOD13 edges, --WITHIN-- the bounds of the setSouthLat = 39.759521484 ; I used the limits below, and LODCalc ( with LOD13 ) to find these dimensionsEastLong = -79.511718750WestLong = -79.628906250As I indicated, I used LODCalc, available in the AVSIM Library, for figuring those bounds... the bound must be on an LOD13 edge, and still be within the georeference of the image.Usually you're better off just leaving the 'UseSourceDimensions = 1', and forget about the bounds.Here's the INF with just the essential info:{Source}Type = CUSTOMSourceDir = "."SourceFile = "Brandonville.bmp"Lon = -79.6306Lat = 39.8806NumOfCellsPerLine = 1522NumOfLines = 1957CellXdimensionDeg = 8.5808147174770039421813403416557e-5CellYdimensionDeg = 6.6734798160449667858967807869188e-5 {Destination}DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "Brandonville"UseSourceDimensions = 1Not much to it, is there? ( use square brackets instead of the {} curlies ). I use 'calc.exe' from the "C:WINDOWSsystem32" folder for my calculations ( it supports cut'n'paste, and parenthetical expressions ).Dick

Dick;Wouldn't it be possable to edit the .BAT Batch file to enable it to do all the steps at once? Seems this would Speed things up!Richard;

Hi Dick,Just a note of reference:I have FSTexConvert do a check on each alpha slice as they are processed... If any of them are 24 bit (which, as you know, all of them are when generated by resample.exe), it converts to an 8 bit copy in memory and uses that to process with. So, you could remove the imagetool 8bit conversion step in the batch to speed things up if you desire (and imagetool.exe itself to save space).FSTexConvert only does this check/conversion on the alpha slices, since those are the only ones that need to be 8 bit.Take care,ElrondPS: As an aside, I bet you and others here might be ones to appreciate the Microsoft PowerToys Graphing Calc for XP. I've found it to be a simple yet much better replacement for the standard windows Calc as it includes a good set of features for a simple calc (such as macros, etc). While its not a feature-rich TI graphing calc clone, its a small freebie you might want to check out.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1937ef0f647396.gif

Hey Bob,Good to see you around as well my friend. I lurk around this forum as it is, by far, the most interesting on the entire system. There's more friendly brain-trust located in this one forum than all I've seen since the early Fly! days... Its great to see all the wonderful work and sharing that this community has grown into.I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday.Take care and best to you,Elrond