Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Hill

Have you tried TerraScene 2.1

While the process of understanding the process of converting TeraScene to FS2002 scenery I an amazed at thee results.If you are interested in steps I have done in the below area for example, please let me know. I would have never sucedded without help from several members of this Forum!Below are two shots near Fairmont Municipal in Fairmont West Virginia.1 of a SW approach and one of a forward view of TerraScene produced and default texture.Richard;

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Many hours spent plus gigabytes of USGS data with Terrascene. Unfortunatly the result in FS2002 is not to my liking. I find that the textures (4.8/pixel) do not appear as distinct as those of FS2002. The difference is not great, but is annoying. I even replaced some of the textures in Terrascene with FS2002 textures but this made repetitive patterns for agriculture areas. Finally the lack of Autogen items reduces reality one notch. I "fly" only VFR GA and my requirements are quite different from a jet at 32,000ft,I also reinstalled FLY! to see the visual results there and found that the clarity was somewhat better than FS2002. This may be that the resampler (fs2002) is messing up the interpolation of the pixels despite the textures being allegedly rendered at 4.8/m. Need to look into that.I have continually gone back to Terrascene from time to time when I become fed up looking at the ridiculous roads and waterways in FS2002. However, I am awaiting a tool in FS2002 that will eventually read the USGS data and properly place the roads, waterways, and coastlines from the data. The FS2002 textures are quite good and with the recent FSGenesis Landclass file they are very well placed. I now await the results of several talented programmers to make the other elements respectable.Regards - Dick - KLBEDick

Hi Richard.I'm glad you've finally had success with your project. I've used a combo of Terrascene/AutoASM to create waterpolys from large terrascened images... and Chris Wright is also perfecting the creation of VTP lines, to allow the translation of images to VTP lines.But, I agree with Dick ( "nudata" )... we need a tool that can read shapefiles just like TerraScene, yet creates the roadlines, shorelines, water/land polys directly to BGLC code. This is what the NL2000 team ( Arno's group ) is doing with their upcoming scenery. Unfortunately, Arno writes the software they developed is targeted to their data sources, and will be of no use to anyone else. Yet, perhaps they will share the source code with us, so we may evolve it towards more generalized tools, if they are unwilling to do so. Who knows?Christan Stock has developed something for ArcView, and Juan Toledo has something for MapInfo. Perhaps they could shed some light on this approach.Dick

Dick;We is stated many times in this forum the resampler for FS2002 seems to have a problem. Try the FS2000SDK version, you would be amazed at the difference?Richard;