Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Overhead Screenshot Extents?

Using the overhead FS2002 view (CTRL-S) is there a way to either discover the NW and SE extents or, given the center, the distance to these corners? I want to use an overhead screen shot in Ground2k to permit modifying the existing elevations of roads. Although a road maybe properly positioned, the mesh/elevations may not have sufficient resolution to prevent the road from climbing a hill in error. Many roads are cut through hills but FS2002 usually reproduces them as going up/down hills instead of relatively level through cuts in hills. With an overhead you could easily, with Ground2k, modify elevations to create proper hillsides and cuts (hopefully). Just need NW & SE corners to have an overhead template.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick.Screenshots might not work accurately. A problem might come from a perspective distortion of the view. You could verify if that problem would exist by using the cellgrid to check the "squareness" of the edges of the screnshot. Abother approach might be to use TDFCalc3. It could help confirm altitudes, latitudes and longitudes.I remember Chris Wright ( "cwright" ) had discussed using screenshots with AutoASM a few weeks ago. He might have some info on this.It might be worthwhile to use TMFviewer. You can load mesh into TMFViewer as a "base" view, then load your BGLs on top of it to view their positioning.Dick

Guest Rosin

hi Nudata,I first create a Cell grid Bgl, then i load it into FS, then in "Aereal View" in FS i chose the sise of image(zoom +/-and slew) and take a shot-aereal view (map view: views/aerienne/enlarge window to max.) has no perspective, it's square perpendicular to ground and has crosshairs. then i can slew to the two corners of my chosen size and the crosshair's position is displayed in red at left upper corner of screen.hope this helps, ignore it if i say something you already use

Finally got around to using Cellgrid and it improves the accuracy of my use of overhead screenshots in Ground2k. I place a cell corner in the NW corner (close as I can) note its number. Take screenshot. Then note number of square corner closest to the SE corner. Get lat/lon for each and off to Grouns2k.You need TDFcalc3 to get the xxx, xxx cell number for the viewed area to modify the xxx_xxx_grid.txt file in Cellgrid process.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick.You might want to experiment with TMFViewer. If you want a good view of the default BGLs, it's probably the best way to go. You can load multiple layers of BGLs and view them together. I usually first load worldlc.bgl, to help me orientate myself in the world, them I'll load the hyp or hyl files, then stl and rdl.Dick