Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Magnetic Deviation

Hi All,I got tired of looking at the default KCLT (no Concourse E) airport and decided to try my hand at basic scenerey design. I decided to basically build the airport from scratch as a learning lesson in Airport for Windows. My question is about magenetic deviation.In AirNav it says the mag dev is 7W but in Airport it is 6W. What sort of problems will I run into (if any) if I change the mag dev to 7W.Thanks in advance,Mark

Well, one degree it would seem. FS2002 uses some pretty old data for MAGVAR. If you change your scenery using real world data, then it may be (will be off) in Flight Simulator.It takes quite of bit of time to do an airport, so you may be just getting a handle on it when MS next version of flight simulator becomes available this summer. MS may even use more recent data for MAGVAR.Have you done the tutorial with the Test Isle at N45, W45. It is a good starting point and if you mess up, you can always delete and start again.

I appreciate the response. I wasn't sure exactly what effect it would have, whether it would actually just effect the airport itself or XX distance around the airport. I didn't want to mess up the other nearby airports.No, I haven't actually done the Test Isle tutorial. I have read over it a few times but did not actually create it in the computer. There are a couple reasons that I picked Charlotte, 1) Using ProjectAI I wanted to get Concourse E in there so I had a place for my commuter aircraft, (instead of just sitting out on the apron, and 2) I thought it would give me a lot of different challenges and would help me learn how to build scenery. With that being said, I know that I am probably biting off more than I can chew right now, but my belief is that is the only way to learn. I also think it will give me a better understanding as to how things work (interact) in the sim. Maybe one day it will come to a point where I feel comfortable about uploading it to a site, but I am in no way rushing to put something out. Honestly, it just seemed like something fun and challenging to do.BTW, I have definitely learned a lot from browsing old messages on this forum and just wanted to say thanks for all those gurus out there who take the time to answer newbie questions.Mark

If you are trying to add something at Charlotte vice doing the entire airport, you might consider doing the tutorial first. It lays the foundation of excluding, flattening, adding, etc.If you just add something to an airport, such as a terminal, other tools may be better suited to placing the new object where you want. It all depends on whether the underlying surface already has the correct features, i.e., tarmac, apron, etc.

I would also highly recommend the tutorial first. Actually get something into FS and see how it all relates and functions. Doing it with something easy will be much less painful than working on something big and pulling your hair out. It also helps to make sure your preferences are set correctly so you can compile and test scenery. By the way, there is a fairly nice scenery available for Charlotte out already. I will see If I can find a link. I have t and I'm quite pleased with it so far.Hornit