Sign in to follow this  

Converting a "Grid" of polys to 1 poly

I've created an object in gmax, and i've noticed that one of the faces consists of many small polys. I would like to remove the grid of small polys and convert it into just the one poly, is there anyway of achieving this because obviously it will save fps?Many thanksWill

try adding a modifier called optimizeB

or else (but probably a bit more work), move all the vertices yourself from the inner side to the 4 corner points and then weld them all together, that should also give you only one poly.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Will,Even simpler, if you still have access to the primitive in the modifier stack, just click on it and reduce segments to 1.In fact, in order to always be able to access the primitive's dimensions, it may be interesting to not convert it to mesh, but just add an Edit Mesh modifier. The result is the same, except that you can always access the primitive and change its basic parameters. The only bad part is that the gMax file is larger than if you convert, but for our purposes, this is probably not very important.Best regards.Luis

Hi all,I've tried doing all the things as stated and:- using "optimize" kinda dodges up the object and the shape, so thats no go.- I always keep the original dimension/creation file in the modifier tab and just add edit mesh after, allowing one to adjust anything from earlier developments (as stated by Luis). I can tell you that it's set to it's most basic parameters ie. set at 1 section for length, width, height. - so also no go.I can only really seeing dragging the vertex's up into the top corner and welding them, as stated by Arno, hopefully will fix it, but yet to find out.This seems like a very tricky aspect of Gmax to fix.CheersWill :-wave

Will, sometimes Optimize indeed does "dodge up the scene"....but don't overlook the sensitivity adjustment available in the rollout menu.B