Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simpit

Anyone familiar with the Philadelphia area?

Just wondering because I drove out to the Blue Route yesterday and once again am wincing at how flat the Schuylkill River valley is along 76...The Manayunk towers are there - but there aren't any real hills to speak of. A little strange even with default scenery, as the riverbed is 100 ft + below the ridge of the nearest mountains.I've always wanted to take off (in the sim) from Blue Bell, which should be up high on a hill overlooking that valley, but isn't.Are there any terrain mods that fix this?Thanks,Andrew

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Cannot answer your question, but I agree that the greater Philadelphia area could use some touchup.Part of the problem is that while the topography may seem pretty rugged from the ground, it doesn't seem like there are any real distinguishing features in the region to emphasise it and make it stand out... after all, it is one huge suburban area.Have you tried some of the higher res mesh scenery?Speaking of Wings field (Blue bell), I work in the office park right under the South approach to the field. I sometimes eat lunch at the picnic table in the parking lot and watch the pattern work...Another suggestion is that there is no lack of geographic info for the area, especially from the PASDA site http://www.pasda.psu.edu/ : there is even a complete set of 10m color satellite images for the area, and indeed the whole state. Maybe someone with more ambition than me could do something with it...Simpit