Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Ground2k & Re-mesh (problem solved?)

Guest Stormshadow

Hi all,I've lately been experimenting with Ground2k's re-mesh function and was knackered off by the results close to coasts. Apart from non-perfect elevations inspite of using accurate maps etc, the sea next to the coast was being elevated aswell.What I did then is replace the '19' value of the 'TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL' in the FS2002 cfg file with '21' and whooops, the elevations were correctly laid out! I checked out the default coastlines and elevations of other parts of the default scenery to see if the change had any adverse effects and the result was in the negative. So it seems the subtle change solves the problems people encounter when using re-mesh.I'm still experimenting so I'll get back to you lot in due course with some nice screenshots..till then,take care allStorm

Somewhere in the docs for Ground2k there is a note on this.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Storm.The drawbacks of setting TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL to 21, is that some meshes may look absurdly blocky.. just like stacked building blocks!And there may be some issues with floating autogen, and with mesh moving or popping on and off. There may also be some framerate issues. Steve Greenwood has done a lot of experimentation with this setting, and also with remeshing, with not only LWM code, but with Area16N SCASM code. He has actually found some advantages to using Area16N elevations. He generally hangs out in the MESH forum. Steve's interest in all things mesh related, and his willingness to share, is a real blessing for us.Dick

Guest Stormshadow

Cheers Dick and co. for your responses.The terrain I'm modifying is not mountain-type terrain and only peaks to a max of 250m over cliffs - one reason why at this stage I prefer to stick to elementary terrain modifying methods rather than use DEMs.Setting the parameter to 21 allows for more predictable results when designing in Ground2k. I have yet to encounter any problems with such a setting modification so I cannot comment on performance. I'm still experimenting mind you so I'll keep you lot posted in the coming days.Take care all,Storm

Guest Stormshadow

Although I'm not too interested in delving into DEMs and the sort, I was wondering if someone can provide me with a GOOD tutorial about how to create terrain from DEMs...I tried reviewing the 2002 SDK but I can't get to grips with some parameters...Thanks to all,Storm.

Hi Storm.We'd need to know the source of the elevation data. HGT, BIL, TIFF, STDS, DEM? And where are the data from? The process isn't hard, but the variety of formats of source data is a bit difficult to understand. Some sources must be translated before resample can do it's job.Dick