Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

LandClass scenery

I'm about to d/l from AVSIM the latest Florida LandClass scenery. Could somebody tell me what is a "LandClass" scenery as opposed to a "regular" scenery such as the stock one in FS9?Thanks a lotJ-Louis, 18 miles NE of KIAD

Guest JoeW

FS2002 and FS9 uses "tiles" textures to " Paint" the scenery you see as you fly. These are for the most part, generic in that it's a trade off because there isn't a texture for the scenery, By this I mean there are no textures for the Orange groves or the caladium fields in Florida. Bob Brown worked for the State of Florida and is now retired, I have done a bunch of cities up the east coast that MS did not even try to render right. Charleston, SC for one. Bob wanted to learn how to do Landclass and I wanted to do the Tampa area. While we were doing this, somehow we got to doing the whole state. Bob Took the landuse data, which the state uses to do different things, and is a kind of generic data also, in that agriculture, surburban, recreation, etc. areas are designated in map form. Bob converted this data into Landclass tiles raw textures and then I started in New Orleans in FL1 and went east hand placing data for the cities and suburbs into the data. I used a map service Topozone.com to search for the cities, along with my personal experiences and Bob's, we compiled this scenery. I don't think anybody could make a more accurate rendition of Florida than Bob And I. We both live in the state, Bob in West Palm Beach and I in Lake Placid. I am from Mississippi, having lived and worked in Pensacola and all the panhandle, then moved to Tampa for about 10 years before moving to Lake Placid.I think you asked for the time and I just told you how to build a clock. I hope I have answered your question on landclass. The best program, in my opinion is John Cillis's 'Landclass Assistant' which was used to do this scenery.Please EnjoyJoe Watson

Guest GabrielR

Just DL and Installed. G R E A T ! ! ! ! I live in the KMIA Area, very close to the airport, the rendition of Miami, the Surroundings of the airport and the Miami Beach area are just incredible!!!, I even recognized the Roof of the condominium I live in!! (It's a very old building)Keep Up the good work, Next week I plan to check on the west coast, sure there is some goodies there too.Best of all its freeware!It is a shame that this data is not available worldwide... would be interesting to have renditions of scenery like this in other parts of the world (Thinking about South America....)Gabrielr

Joe:Thanks a million for your very clear and thorough explanation. I downloaded it and enjoy it a lot. Thanks to people like you, FS 2004 is getting more and more pleasant to use everyday.My very best regardsJ-Louis

Hi Joe and Bob,I used your FL landclass in FS2002 and it was great. Downloaded your FS2004 version but haven't installed yet.I flew an actual C172SP to Leesburg, FL this morning for short/soft field landings. I had a hard time picking out the real Leesburg, maybe I should load your new landclass to get better landmarks for when I really fly! :7My flight instructor turn down the GPS screen and other NAVAIDs, so it was visual all the way.W. Sieffert

Guest JoeW

It is possible to fly the Florida Landclass with a roadmap or atlas, but sometimes MS puts the roads in the wrong place. Yes.... I have flown around Leesburg a great deal. I'm glad that you are enjoying itJoe W.