Sign in to follow this  
Guest AMC612

GMAX CORUPTING MY FILES!!!

Guest AMC612

Hi all,In the past work I created a scenery for Lampedusa using GMAX 1.1. In the last week I was updating some buildings and strangely enough, Gmax is saving but when I close an reopen the files; I find them all corrupted. I uninstalled the program and reinstaleed but the same. Can anyone help me? I'm in panick of loosing every thing !!!!I apriciate all your help.:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburn:-newburnBest RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN

Guest AMC612

This is the error I'm getting

This is due to the MS hotfix 823980. If you remove that GMax will work fine again, but on the other hand it is needed for that Blaster worm etc, so it's a difficult problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Barney1

No real problem at all, Arno. If one uses a reputable firewall and or router, the "hotfix" becomes redundant. Notice that over the past several years, virtually every security breach with respect to Windows involves Internet Explorer/Outlook Express programs. If one doesn't use these exclusively, there is no real reason to even update the OS everytime MS thinks you should.......unless of course, one is having problems or issues with the OS itself. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".One can also lower security risk by observing "safe hex" and by disabling unnecessary background programs which MS seems to think we require. The rational at MS is that we are all dim-witted and unable to selectively decide what is best for our own operation/computer so they believe they need to do our thinking for us.What I really find disconcerting about the Gmax problem however, and I've brought this up in other fora, stems from the fact that a "hotfix" could affect the function of this program in the first place! And why is it just apparently affecting a program from Discreet??

Hi Barney,Yes, I also find it very strange that the hotfix influences the working of a program that much (I read that more programs made by AutoDesk are influenced by it btw).And yes I use a firewall and a router, but still I want to be sure that I am safe. And I am certain not everybody has all those things, so for them it might be important to know about the consequences of not installing the hotfix.Also this latest worm does not use IE or Outlook (which I don't use anyway), but it uses a gap in Windows right away. So I would prefer to fix that :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest AMC612

Hi arno,I have my windows2000 uptodate but yesterday I removed the MS Hotfix so GMAX can work. I use a symantec anti-virus. By having only this up to date am I having my computer safe or shall I reinstall MS hotfix and not use GMAX for now?Best RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN

I don't know yet. I think if you use a firewall that should block the ports the worm uses and then you are relatively safe. But maybe someone else can say a wise thing about this? :).

Arno

Guest AMC612

I works as architecture designer and at work I use almost all Autodesk products. With all the service packs installed I never had such problems of getting corrupted files. Autodesk Software is more reliable on RAM and usualy RAM causes the software to shutdown.Best RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN

I didn't say it is bad software. I just read on the internet that not only GMax but also some other software packages by AutoDesk are affected by this latest hotfix. It's just strange that any software is affected, as that should not be the case.

Arno

Guest AMC612

Hi Arno,I did'nt mean that Autodesk is bad software. In my opinion it is one of the best in the field I work on and also GMAX. It's true what is strange is that it looks that it's the only brand affectedBest RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN