Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

scenery.cfg--thought I'd ask the pro's

I have 2 scenery.cfg files. One is in my fs folder along with my aircraft folders etc. and the other is in the same directory as my fs9.cfg. I edited the one in the fs folder because I deleted a scenery file, but the one in other directory is now different. Am I supposed to have 2 of them, and which one is the right one? And do the numbers have to be consecutive? If I remove a scenery do I need to edit the the entries after the one I deleted in the scenery.cfg file so that so they follow the entry before the one I deleted? Many thanks!rgds,billg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have never edited the second file (in the folder of fs9.cfg). I just had a look at it, because I didn't know it was there, and the things I added in the scenery.cfg file in the FS root folder are also there. So I think it is save to say you only have the edit the first one.And as far as I know it is no problem that the number have a gap in them, as long as you don't use a number twice.

Generally, there are three files copied to your fs9.cfg folder, when a problem arises with FS2004. One of these is a copy of the scenery.cfg file, others are the dxdiag file in XML format and a copy of fs9.cfg. If you receive a Send/don't sent request, the files will be generated and sent to Microsoft, if you press the send. They remain in this folder until you have another hiccup and are overwritten with new versions.To test this, cut the three files and place in a temporary area on your hardrive (I suggest this since you may feel uncomfortable deleting them outright). Restart fs2004, fly around, exit fs2004, revisit the fs9.cfg folder, and note no new files are listed unless you had a fault.I just delete the files when and if I get a fault. However, I do always send the request to Microsoft as I know they use a database to look for problems and trends. Ultimately a QA and software engineer analyze the problems.W. Sieffert