Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

FS9: Caribbean Issues

Guest JDiaz

I gotta credit MS with giving us a great sim, it really does look great. BUT, there are a couple of annoying issues. Foremost of them is the issue with textures and I hope someone can be of help. I've been flying in the sim to some islands including Providenciales (MBPV), Grand Cayman (MWCR) and Guatemala City (MTGG) to name a few and I've noticed that the trees (which arent even native to the area have FALL textures on them! The ground textures are somewhat fall like too. Guatemala manages to include some green palm trees but it looks strange mixed with the fall leaves on the other trees. These areas of the world are tropical and green year round. There shouldn't be something you see in New Hampshire happening in Grand Cayman! Is there any way to fix this easily? Thanks!Jason

Hola Jason,You will find this nonsense throughout Central America and even in Venezuela, too.Read the TMF Manuak by Christian Stock, available in the AvSim library, if you want to modify the seasons assigments. But, I just don't bother and always fly in the summer.Best regards.Luis

>Hola Jason,>>You will find this nonsense throughout Central America and>even in Venezuela, too.>On the other hand you do not get any seasons inareas which clearly has got them. E. g. the Canberra area in Australia, well known for its beautiful Indian Summers has got evergreen textures and trees the whole year round.Wolfgang

Guest JDiaz

Thank you Luis,I've been flying summer in that region myself but we shouldn't HAVE to do it, we SHOULD be able to have the correct date and see the correct textures. Whoever programmed the region should know leaves dont fall off trees in central america or the caribbean lolThanks though i'll check that file outjason

Hello Jason,In fact, leaves do fall off in Central and South America. There are various climatic regions throughout the area that are not tropical in nature, even regions that are quite temperate and that have vegetation that is exactly what can be found in North America. These temperate-style climates are due to the mountainous nature of the terrain - temperatures are lower and the vegetation reflects this.The Flight Simulator Development Team had to deal with creating the entire world in a game that is still very limited in the way that it can represent all the diversity to be found in the world. It is not yet possible to program the game to show so many varied micro-climates in close proximity, so they probably have had to show the broad aspect of seasons.Really, the best solution for the moment is just to fly exclusively in the Summer in this area.Best regards.Luis

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysTo be fair to MS, they actually did slightly rework the seasonal settings (which are contained in the default seasons.bgl file) for FS2004 - doubtless in response to earlier comments from FS2002. But there are indeed still some errors despite their efforts - trying to get all the scenery data correct for the whole world must be a daunting and nigh impossible task!!!But that doesn't mean we can't put the errors right for ourselves on a local basis, just as we do for landclass etc. As Luis mentioned, Christian Stock has shown us how to create/edit the necessary data (seasons work rather like landclass and waterclass files) and I have written to Russell Dirks, the author of the excellent EZ-Landclass, asking him if he could find the time to extend his program to include a facility for creating 'season' files in addition to his existing facilities for landclass and waterclass files. Apart from correcting the local errors, this would also enable us to model the special seasonal patterns found in all sorts of locations around the world, particularly in tropical and sub-tropical regions.Cross your fingers ... or maybe even write to Russ yourselves to reinforce my request!In the meantime, I shall also be addressing these seasonality problems in the forthcoming 'version 4' of my Tree Libraries ... but that's a different matter, independant of the need for an easy-to-use tool for editing the seasons data itself.CheersGerrish