Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Double Posting Sorry Help with Ground2K4 v5.1 crashing

Guest tasnvs

Hi I have a problem that is slowly driving me round the bend.I am using Ground2K4 v5.1 and I am starting to get problems.The size of the LWM file is at 3,895K and still growing but nearly there.Using WinXp Prof 512 Meg memThe things I get are.1 While compilling, system crashed back to reboot or sometime just a message to say That an error has occured and Ground2K4 will have to close. Have checked the error log and this is what it records."Faulting application ground2k4.exe, version 5.1.0.0, faulting module oleaut32.dll, version 3.50.5014.0, fault address 0x00002b65."2. Some times while compiling, the progress box stops updating but everything compiles correctly.( the stopping can be anywhere during the process.3 Sometimes everything looks OK but when copying the files to FS,I find it has not generated the x_3.bgl file4 It seems to be getting worse as the LMW file is getting larger.5 Makes no difference if a cold reboot or just restart Ground2K4Some times it will work OK for about 5 times no problems then all of a sudden wont work for 3 - 4 time then OK again.Getting very fustrated as I have nearly completed the project but have not done much in the last day or so.Hope someone can helpCheers Norman

Hello Norman,This is astonishing. You say that your LWM file is almost 4 MB? What exactly is your project, how detailed is it, and how long have you been working on it?My largest project is 800 KB, a highly detailed rendering of a very large area. So, unless you are covering an entire country with a lot of detail and have been working on it for months, it seems strange to me that your file should be so large. Could you please give us some more details?Only Christian can give you an answer as to this error, I fear. It seems to have something to do with object linking, so probably it is a programming limitation.Best regards.Luis

Hi Norman.Another consideration is that this may not be a fault of G2k4. Your CPU and memory are being used pretty heavily. You could have a system heat issue, or a memory problem. If it was G2k4, I would think the problem would be consistant.Christian has been quietly working on a new approach for me to create an LWM file..."I obtained an 31,7 megs file for LWM.asm compiled into a 2,16 megs Bgl"That's a big file! And Christian's system has only 256 Mb memory! So I'm doubting it's G2k4 at this point.How big are the ASM files produced?Dick

Guest C_Fumey

I'm working now with big .LWM file (the last one = 8,44 megs, about 4000 polys, more than 210000 points)It works if I wait, doing nothing with my PC, hands far from the keyboard and the mouse. Of course, Ground2K has been a bit improved and now the process time to generate bgl files has been divided by 5.I think that the memory and threads handling is not so good (I use XP);Wait for the coming release.I answer also to a message about triangulation.Ground24 doesn't triangulate; it tries to create convex polys as bigger as possible; there are also forcasted improvements for that.Very easy to verify : have a look to the generated .asm;Christian

Guest tasnvs

Christian Hi.First I would like to say.If it wasn't for your program and all you're hard work, I would not be doing what I am.I have been using your Ground2K from the start working on the same project and was very happy to see I can now include the power pylons etc.My only problem it I don't understand anything about reading the files, :( so its just having to rely on all you brainey fellows to help us not so bright ones.I am sure it is a problem with the interface and not the actual program. as it never seems to crash in the same place.Who would own a computer?Any way thanks againfor all your hard work and I will plod on andkeep waiting for any updates.Cheers Norman

Guest tasnvs

Dick Hi.Yes I agree with your asumptions, as if it was G2K4, it would crash in the same place. My crashes can be any where from just starting to nearly the end.For a complete compile only takes about 4 Min on a 1 Ghz AMD The Excl.asm = 3K, Lines.asm = 3.552K, Poly_LMW - 659K, VTP2 = 588KThanks for your input.Cheers Norman

Guest tasnvs

Hi LuisI have been working on it since FS9 was released and it covers the whole 994470.bgl area in New Zealand From Christchurch North to the Clarence Rive.The area is about 2deg x 1.5deg. I am moving all the roads and rivers and puting them into their correct place and deleting all the deep rivers that accure when you replace the default mesh with 40m onesCheers Norman

Incredible, Norman! Wonderful! I am convinced that terrain modification is the way to go as far as major scenery creation is concerned. It is just so easy to make highly-detailed scenery with relatively little effect on frame rates and much smaller files than the old SCASM layer thing.You and the other guys making such large areas are doing great stuff.Best regards.Luis

Guest tasnvs

Hi all.Just to let you all know that the problems I was having is now fixedStrange one but after meany tests by both myself and at the computer repair shop, it was found that the CPU was faultyAfter replacing with a new AMD XP2500 all problems stopped.Cheers Norman