Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrobert

Help with distributor for approx 2.4 GB of 30m USA Terramesh

Guest jrobert

Hello,I've created an entire terra mesh model of the United States from NED 1 arc second data and resampled to LOD10 (38.2m) resolution. Certain areas of interest have even higher resolution obtained from NED 1/3 arc second data and resampled to LOD11 (19.1m) resolution. The resulting scenery size on disk is about 2.4 GB. I already know I'm going to have to make installation CDs (CD 1, CD 2, and possibally, CD 3.) My initial plans are to sell it at 39.99 USD. The problem is I'm not exactly sure how to get started in finding a distributer. Any help would be appriciated.Regards,Joshua Robertson

Hi Joshua:sorry, don't know about any distributor but your prize seems a bit higher than the competing products I know of: FS Genesis' is about USD28 (plus shipping, if desired) and FS Traveler USD36. I'm sure there are other offers as well. I guess your challenge will be to show potential customers that your product is as good or better than the competitors'; for that you'd need some webspace to highlight its features and, perhaps, free samples for download. Anyway, good luck with your endavor.Cheers, Holger

One of the forgotten steps in some mesh offerings is the lack of adjustment to areas where the source data was lacking. Holger mentions FS Genesis where Justin tries to eliminate as much of the odd stuff as possible and then respond to his customers who discover new anomalies with patches. This is a VERY tough product to beat given the initial price, the accuracy and the excellent support.Dick Boley KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest jrobert

There really isn't any adjustment necessary considering the source where I'm getting my data. I understand what you mean though by "where the source data is lacking". Since being I'm using NED data that is truely seamless, there is no such "incomplete source data"Before I started using the NED Seamless Data Distribution System (http://seamless.usgs.gov), I used the 7.5 minute quad data provided by the GIS Data Depot and by stitching those together, I had deep cliff-like crevasses all over the place to contend with. The NED Seamless Data does not have this problem since all data is for a lack of a better word... seamless.I have been going over the data for almost an entire year and have yet to see one cliff-like crevasse.